Main Menu

The Harbor Freight Stainless HVLP gun is a wonderful tool to own...

Started by kawahonda, September 24, 2020, 08:22:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Growing up, I had to learn the ropes of Autobody restoration on my own (and the internet, when it was booming). Then I got summer jobs in the autobody industry. Soon I learned quickly how it's not an easy-going career :)

Anyhow, growing up and restoring my 1965 Galaxie, I wanted to have a real paint gun. I saved up and bought a Devilbiss Finishline 3. Today, this is seen as a dinosaur. LOL.

I was in harbor freight, and I decided since I'm painting an engine soon that I should pick up some 4Oz detail HVLP guns. I bought the stainless and the purple one. The stainless one has a slightly bigger tip and is more ideal for epoxy/high build primers. Tonight I decided to try out the stainless one on a 1972 CL450 seat pan that I had to stitch together to fix someone's "cafe" job.

The gun itself if you are used to nicer guns is definitely not in the same class. Squeezing the trigger makes a spring-like noise that higher end-guns do not have. The gun is slathered with storage oil from the packaging, so it needs to be disassembled and cleaned before use. The fan control is actually in a really usable location (I actually prefer it being here rather than on the "hammer" position)...the only problem is that it's quite easy to hit it with your thumb when you lay-down/pick up the gun. They could have used more friction on this control. Worst of all, reassembling the pressure/needle spring+cap has so much pressure that it's VERY hard to get it threaded again. Those are all minor things, especially with a $15 price point. How does it perform?

Aside from those drawbacks, for $15, this is a killer primer gun for small jobs. It takes me 5 minutes to clean it. My Devilbiss takes 15 minutes just due to its sheer size. The Devilbiss FL3 is like a shotgun-sprayer that's meant for...cars....where this gun is much better for smaller parts. I'm kicking my self in the ass for the past 10 years, after restoring 10 motorcycles with lots of spraying of small things for not using these things sooner.

Anyhow, pretty impressed. I was expecting leaks, an inconsistent spray pattern, and other things, but turned out to be a smooth-sailing prime-day for me. I've shot out Epoxy and High Build with it with ease. Highly recommended.

When I paint my 408, I will use this for priming, and I will re-post back after using Harbor Freight's "purple" gun for the top-coat.

As-always, cheap tools with inexperience is different from cheap tools with lots of experience. The gun has minor quirks as mentioned, but they are all easily accounted for. Primer allows for mistakes. 95% of my spraying is no more than 4Oz...many times only 2Oz. If you find yourself only spraying 2-4Oz, especially primer jobs, you owe it to yourself to try this out.

These pictures are of motorcycle objects that have filler underneath them (and a metal weld seam) and have not been block sanded to a fine and smooth texture yet. I think the next set of pictures after some block sanding would really showcase how smooth the pattern was. Honestly, I did not notice a difference in performance between this, and my $250 FL3.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

kawahonda

For those that are interested in the pan, I restored and powder coated the pan about 3 months ago. Dropped it off at the upholster. He called me soon after and said the pan is 2" too short. Turned out, the guy who had the bike before chopped it off!

So I decided to save it, and get a junker CL450 pan. Slice it, blast it, measure it, and butt-weld it carefully together. Easier said than done. CL450 pans are harder to come by. CB450 pans would have not been worth the effort.

Pictures are showing progress up until this point. You can see some of the upholstery's glue is on the top side. No point in restoring that side to perfection when it gets gooped again. Bottom side is important however. No pictures of minor skim filling, decided to ignore my phone during that phase. I'm at at the point of blocking it, re-priming, and wet sanding it.

Yes, I know I should be tack-welding with a helmet on (and with proper shoes). I actually went the full-mile and welded BOTH sides. :)

larry4406

Nice review.  Can you post the model number of the HF spray gun?

headejm

@kawahonda Thanks for the review!

Assuming that is you in the pictures, please wear proper eye protection when using a welder. Could you imagine a spark jumping up and hitting you in the eye? Game over. And since I'm on my soapbox today, maybe some pants and proper footwear. I want you restoring Mopars for many years to come.  :cheers:

kawahonda

Here is the link!

https://www.harborfreight.com/120-cc-hvlp-touch-up-air-spray-gun-61473.html?_br_psugg_q=touch+up+spray+gun

Looks like it is $35.99, but it's constantly on sale. in the $20 dollar range. It comes with a pressure regulator too.

This is the one I will shoot the top-coat with...even cheaper!

https://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html

DeathProofCuda

That gun looks almost identical to one that I just picked up on Amazon from TCP Global, although mine has an aluminum cup and larger tip.  You can also get replacement parts and other tip sizes through TCP Global.  I haven't used mine yet, but will be testing it out in the next few days when thing finally dry out around here.

https://www.amazon.com/TCP-Global-Touch-Up-Spray-Regulator/dp/B00377535U/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=tcp+global+mini+touch+up+spray+gun&qid=1601048576&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFMVTExUlg0MlpOSkcmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2MjIwODgyQTZWM1ZUMUtWVTQ4JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxMTQ5NDQzRUFWUEhaTjlMMkE2JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

kawahonda

I bet you that's the same exact gun, just with a different cup and a larger tip! Also includes the same regulator. Take some good pictures and update this thread and we can compare the components and parts. If it's the same thing, just as well save some money and go to HF and get it!

Can confirm that the .8mm tip had no problem with Epoxy (non-reduced) and MP282 High Build Primer. I was worried about that because on my large gun I use a 1.8mm tip but it seems like these smaller guns don't need as big tips relatively since the shot pattern is inherently smaller?

I was on the TCP site, and it doesn't appear like they sell the tips seperately...at least I'm having a hard time finding one.

Bullitt-

Quote from: kawahonda on September 25, 2020, 08:28:42 AM

This is the one I will shoot the top-coat with...even cheaper!

https://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html

I primed the underside of my car with this even though I had better guns on hand ..
This lil feller was handy in that the cup angle can be adjusted & I was primarily spraying overhead.. worked well I thought
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: kawahonda on September 25, 2020, 08:53:32 AM
I was on the TCP site, and it doesn't appear like they sell the tips seperately...at least I'm having a hard time finding one.

If you Google "TCP Global G 5500" you should come up with listings.  Here are links to the 1.0 fluid tip and repair kit.  You can also find these on Amazon, although I suppose at these prices you could also just go out and buy another HF gun.

https://tcpglobal.com/products/tcp-p5500-10

https://tcpglobal.com/products/tcp-p6600-p5500-kit

kawahonda

Will top-coat it tomorrow, but the gun worked very well and flawlessly today. At times I wanted to bust out my Devilbiss FL3 and just shotgun it because using a detail gun is slower. But Once I got in the groove, I felt like I could get every nook and cranny with it.

gzig5

How much smaller is the pattern from the detail gun than a full size?  I was planning on getting a new HVLP for doing the car, but I think I might be able to put a detail gun to good use on all the brackets and single panel work I have in front of my.  Probably work well for a guide coat too?

tparker

Awesome, I doing the same. I have my engine coming back and was originally just planing on using the big debliss gun I have. But watching some vids, it looks like the detail guns are better so you have time to move around and get into the nooks and cranny. I think I will give this a try.

I have the small purple gun I got before and I recall it being easier to use than the original cheap summit gun. The only two issues it has is the cup is small and it leaked a bit out of the cup.  Maybe I should consider fixing it or for 13 buck get a new one.

kawahonda

kawahonda

Topcat