Main Menu

The Harbor Freight Stainless HVLP gun is a wonderful tool to own...

Started by kawahonda, September 24, 2020, 08:22:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

As shown, you can get good results using Harbor Freight's $12-14 purple gun. I had no problems with leaking. It did a great job.

The $25 stainless Harbor Freight gun is however significantly better than the purple gun for the following reasons:

1) The purple gun is coated with....purple. That's cool, but if you're someone like me that sprays everything while cleaning, I'm pretty sure that purple is going to wear off and look crappy/get sticky after some time.

2) The purple gun upon disassembly is filled with grease, and white-glue-type stuff that just should not be used in paint guns. Took awhile to brush everything out before use.

3) The purple gun did not seem to want to release the fan-control knob for some reason....maybe it's never meant to be taken off, or mine just has more "glue stuff"?

4) The purple gun has a friction-fit cap. Honestly....I just don't like the idea of a friction fit cap. I much prefer something that screws on. All it takes is one time for a big-ass mess, even with 4oz capacity.

5) the purple gun has a slightly smaller tip. This would not be the gun to use for primers.

Seems like a lot of trash talking on the purple gun, but I absolutely love it as a small area, top-coating gun only. The fact that the container rotates to where you can shoot in any direction is worth its weight.

I however believe that the first HF gun I shown has much more versatility, and will last in your toolbox longer. Everything comes apart like it should...no glue or grease globs from the factory. Plus it has a regulator in-box.

In-conclusion since I have both I would use the purple gun for top-coats only. I would use the chrome gun for both primer and top coating.  $10 more for added versatility plus a regulator makes it a better gun and better value for small jobs.

I would not use either to spray autobody panels or large areas. They are ideal for things like engine blocks (maximum size IMO), motorcycle seat pans. motorcycle gauges, headlight buckets, etc. Small things that use 4-8Oz of paint max only.

If I'm spraying a fender then I'm breaking out my Devilbiss.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

kawahonda

1970 Dodge Challenger A66