Main Menu

Think you dont get ethanol?

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, March 03, 2023, 02:28:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

I stumbled across this today. Thought it may be of interest.

HP2

Not at all surprised by this.

Where I live at, standard gas is E10. Something she didn't mention was if there was a sticker on the pump regarding oxygenated or winter blend, as this will also introduce alcohol into the gas in some places.

It does make sense that  you would get some alcohol when pumping alcohol free because, as she points out, the liquid left in the hose from the previous use. In only a gallon, I could see that equating to an E5 reading. In 18-25 gallons, it will be nearly un-measurable.

In my Challenger, I built the system to be E85 compatible so Teflon hose where needed. Then changed my mind to  stick with gas and go with alcohol injection instead for detonation avoidance.

chargerdon

Is that chick related to Marjorie Taylor Greene   ???     

Three things:
1) Personally, i have used the E85 grade (15% ethanol) in my daily driver and have not noticed any difference at all between it and standard 87 octane 10% mix.   Why have i tried it...here near Raleigh when Sheetz first started to carry E85 it was .50 a gallon cheaper than their 87 octane fuel.   That makes good economic sense.    Lately however the price differential by them is only .10 cheaper than their 87 and usually is actually more expensive than the other Gas Stations in the are are for their 87. So screw them. 

2) Here in NC i don't know what the tanks in the ground are, but, i know that they HAVE to have separate hoses for ethanol vs non ethenol fuels.   My local Sheetz has FOUR fuel lines.   1 for diesel, 1 for 87, 89, 93 octane fuels, one for E85 and a fourth for E88.    So, what she claims about the first 1/2 gallon are bullshit...at least for NC.

3) I have been using regular ole 87 octane with up to 10% ethanol in my lawn mowers, and roto tiller for years and years without having any problems...    Every fall i run the tank empty and let them idle till the carb runs out of fuel before storing them (i used to add Sta Bill  to the tank, but why waste the money ?   In the spring, fill er up with 87 (with 50 to 1 mix of oil for my 2 cycle roto tiller, then pull the plug and dump about 1/2 once into the engine, give her a couple of cranks and it fires right up !!!    Gee even with ethanonl in it...   My two mowers are a 12 hp briggs and stratton rider, and i have a walk behind honda.   My tiller is a Toro 2 cycle...   starts up every time for the past 12 years never had any carb problems and they run just fine !!   

Look, i know a lot of guys with classic cars will ONLY buy the Ethanol free gasolines which cost $4.85 to over $5 a gallon.   I think their nuts when 93 octane 10& ethanol costs $3.65 a gallon here near raleigh, NC.    Yes, ethanol does draw moisture more than gasoline, and that is why i keep my tanks full to limit it.    I have done all of the mechanical work on both my 66 Charger and 74 Challenger and i know that from fuel lines to carb there is nothing in there that the higher corrosive ethanol can harm.   But to each their own.   

Brads70

Hummm learned something, I always thought e85 was 15% ethanol.  This says its 51-85 % ethanol.  It's e15 that is 15%
We don't have that here in Canada as far as I know? Just 10% , no 15% or E85

71GranCoupe

The stations where I get the non-ethanol fuel has a separate hose and dispenser.

E85 is not even close to regular 87.

E85 is a fuel that contains gasoline, but also consists of up to about 85% ethanol, a renewable resource which is made from plant materials such as corn, sugar cane, and grasses. The percentage of ethanol depends on the geographical location and time of the year. Jun 28, 2022

worthywads

E15 is 15% ethanol, E85 is ups to 85% ethanol.  I've seen E15 for $1 less than E10 in Iowa, great deal.

torredcuda

There are only a couple ethanol free stations in the whole state of NH so I don`t have a choice. There has always been winter blends that differ from summer blends, nothing new there.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

torredcuda

The leftover gas in the hose could be an issue if you want ethanol free but that is easily fixed by pumping he first gallon into your vehicle before filling your gas can.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Dmod1974

Honestly, most all replacement fuel hoses, seals, and gaskets these days can withstand normal gasoline ethanol blends fine.  You're not going to find a lot of natural rubber or nitrile unless you're using some really old parts which are probably unsuitable for use anyways from age.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find "rubber" fuel hose that won't work too.  Yeah, corrosion on the metal parts is a bigger issue than it was back in the day since ethanol readily absorbs water, but it is what it is and can mostly be mitigated with good storage practices.

E85 is another animal altogether.  The much higher ethanol concentration requires special seals and metal components in the fuel system to handle the increased corrosion potential and low lubricity of the fuel.  Stainless steel and PTFE lined hose is as good as it gets.  It has only like 2/3 of the energy that gasoline does, so the fuel system (pump, carb, injectors, lines, etc.) need to be upsized accordingly.  In a flex fuel vehicle, you can expect to see 2/3 of the fuel economy as well.  It is less volatile than gas, so cold starts can be a pain.  E85 can vary considerably at the pump, but that's a nonissue if you have EFI and a flex fuel sensor installed and calibrated so the tune can adjust to the actual ethanol ration and avoid engine damage or drivability issues.  If the vehicle isn't a flex fuel vehicle, it probably won't run at all if you put E85 in it.  At least not very well at all.

Now, a dedicated E85 build has a lot more potential since you can get pretty crazy with the cylinder pressure and boost without worrying about detonation like you would on pump gas.

If I get stupid with my car down the road, I might slap in bigger injectors and a double 525 pump along with pulleys to reach that 1000HP mark and really see if those USCT reinforcements were worth it or not.  :burnout:

Racer57

I've never had a choice of anything other than E10 since the mid-late 70s. No issues with any cars, pickups, 2 ton trucks or motorcycles. I also remember the little glass "fuel filters" that were on vehicles long before ethanol showed up. There was always a little but of water/rust in them. At least with ethanol it will absorb the water. I have a 1,000 gallon gasoline fuel tank for work use that sits outside and have zero issues.  20 years ago ethanol required more energy than it provided, but thats not the case anymore.