Main Menu

tragedy at Raleigh, NC Christmas parade

Started by chargerdon, November 20, 2022, 06:18:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

Well...i stand corrected...it apparently is possible to extend wheels that far out without changing the stock location of the brakes.   Thank you for enlightening me.   Question for all you experts, but, again looking at the video it appears to me that the truck also rides quite a bit taller than stock.   When i truck is "sky jacked" or whatever its called, don't the brake lines have to be extended as well ?   

Now, call me a skeptic, but, usually where there is smoke there is fire, and to me the probability of the modifications having nothing to do with the brake failure is ...well...simply way to much of a coincidence for me.    I hope your correct as incidentally it was revealed that the driver was a prior dancer for the C C dance troupe making it doubly terrible for him.   He is only 20 years old.  Terrible..   

dodj

Jeeez....I don't know what to say. Hope you come out of this ok Don....and to all the others,  the family of the girl....geez....

And the driver of the truck....only 20 and having to mentally deal with this...man...hope he keeps it together.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

chargerdon

Just heard from my daughter who teaches 3rd grade.    Mother of one of her students called to let her know that her daughter is a member of the C C Co dance troupe and was riding on the float.   The mom said her daughter is very shaken up and will miss class monday and would my daughter please send home any homework for her.     Jeez...   

anlauto

Undoubtably the modifications done to the truck lead to the brake failure, no one disputes that...I think our only point was that it was not the wheels. :alan2cents:

There's a lot more to worry about here :andyangel:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71-440

That's really sad.
Prayers to the family of the little girl that was killed and to everyone else involved. 

Sorry Don you witnessed this. Prayers for you too buddy.

Joe
Joe

chargerdon

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the article about the incident in the Raleigh newsobserver.   

In the article there is a section on the driver.   Raleigh police charged the driver, 20-year-old Landen Christopher Glass, with misdemeanor death by motor vehicle, careless and reckless driving, improper equipment, unsafe movement and carrying a firearm in a parade.  It went on to say that "Glass was ticketed by Virginia authorities on at least five separate dates since 2021. In that less than two-year period, Virginia court records show, Glass was ticketed four times for failing to have his vehicle inspected. The remainder of the 17 infractions — the most recent from Oct. 30 — included violations for having an improper exhaust system and other equipment issues.

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article268996997.html#storylink=cpy

torredcuda

Quote from: chargerdon on November 21, 2022, 08:07:07 AM
If anyone is interested, here is a link to the article about the incident in the Raleigh newsobserver.   
"Glass was ticketed by Virginia authorities on at least five separate dates since 2021. In that less than two-year period, Virginia court records show, Glass was ticketed four times for failing to have his vehicle inspected. The remainder of the 17 infractions — the most recent from Oct. 30 — included violations for having an improper exhaust system and other equipment issues.

Is there some point when they can tow the vehicle to take it off the road, obviuosly ticketing him did no good?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

captcolour

Is there some point when they can tow the vehicle to take it off the road, obviuosly ticketing him did no good?
[/quote]

Police can always tow a vehicle.  A ticket is a courtesy.

torredcuda

Quote from: captcolour on November 22, 2022, 05:40:12 AM

[/quote]

Sure, first or second offense usually a ticket is fine but after 4 non inspections and 17 violations I don`t think the vehicle should still be on the road.

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: torredcuda on November 22, 2022, 06:30:14 AM
Quote from: captcolour on November 22, 2022, 05:40:12 AM

Sure, first or second offense usually a ticket is fine but after 4 non inspections and 17 violations I don`t think the vehicle should still be on the road.
[/quote]

Just goes to show that the mandatory annual vehicle inspection program is really just a money grab and not actually about vehicle safety, and the ticket for violation is also; just about the money.   

When I lived in a state that had mandatory inspections I would go to the authorized service center, pay the man his $20 inspection fee, he would look out the window and see that I was driving a vehicle less than 3 years old, and just hand me the inspection sticker.

torredcuda

I think it depends on the area, I`ve only lived in Mass and now NH and both have annual inspections and they are pretty strict about adhering to the rules. I have a local independent shop and the guy knows me and knows I keep my vehicles maintenance up but he`ll still check safety items such as tires, brakes, front end etc. If you fail you get a reject sticker as long as it`s not unsafe and have like 60 days to get it fixed and re-inspected, after that they will usually tow it.

chargerdon

I moved to NC from PA in 2012.    First time i had to have my vehicle inspected here in NC, i thought...what a joke.   It costs $30 pass or fail, and if it fails then you CAN NOT get your annual license renewed so from that aspect its serious. 

The inspection here in NC consists of foremost a tail pipe emissions inspection, a tire and lights inspection and a check to insure there is no CHECK ENGINE light.    There is NO brake inspection other than to note when your vehicle is pulled into the station and stopped that the brakes don't go to the floor and pull while it comes to a stop.    Thats IT !!!

In Pa where i came from, they Pulled a front wheel and a rear wheel and checked the brake lining/pads and that there was no leaks.   Less than 20% lining and you would fail, likewise that the parking brake works, and no problems with the rotors or drums.    They also would perform a test on the front end tightness and linkage rods etc.   No exhaust leaks tolerated.  Much more thorough and there was no waving of it for friends.   

I do not know what the laws are in Virginia which is where that truck was registered and owned.    My cousin a truck driver that lives in Virginia had this to say about the trucks modifications.   He says they are basically illegal in Virginia in that you have to have special marker lights installed to warn about the wheels extending out from the truck.   He says it is common practice by many young kids with those wheels to simply ignore the laws and thus they get citations which they simply ignore.    He says that that is why he failed to get inspections because it wouldn't pass with those wheels without the special marker lights.   He also says most kids simply put on regular wheels to pass inspection and then put the extended wheels right back on.    Good grief !!!   

Conversely here in NC classic cars such as my 74 Challenger do NOT get inspected.  it is any vehicle 20 years or older are not inspected.    I guess they feel that owners of classic cars keep them in great shape and therefore don't both us with inspections.   In the same light I do not even have to have a license plate on the car, so long as i keep it in the trunk to show that it is current should i be requested by a policeman.   This is done so that if i wanted i could put on a 74 Challenger vanity plate.   Talk about being liberal. 

torredcuda

We have a long list here in NH - lights, horn, wipers, brake linings, parking brake, exhaust, front end parts, no rust thru holes, tint and plenty more, emissions are for OBD II and newer passenger and light trucks. My antique plates require inspection every two years, Street Rod plates (1948 and older) NO inspections. Most places are pretty tough and don`t allow anything to pass if it`s even close, it used to be on the garage if something was caught by a LEO and the garage put a sticker on it but now it`s the actual guy doing the inspection and they can pull his inspection license if they find himm at fault for passing it. Massachusetts is even stricter with more requirements, glad I don`t live there anymore. I`s crazy how strict some states are and then some don`t have ANY inspections!

captcolour

No inspections here in Kentucky.  I grew up in NY and lived in PA before here, so was very used to them.  KY did the tailpipe emissions for a while but that was a joke so stopped it after a few years.