Main Menu

Vanishing Point [1971] (behind the scenes)

Started by FSHTAIL, February 05, 2018, 02:32:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

I saw this on Facebook and thought these were too cool to not snag and hard copy them here for history. 

The story is also included (photo credit)

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

blown motor

Cool stuff, thanks for posting. That camera mounted on the hood looks cumbersome. Now they would just use a very small camera with a suction cup mount.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Timbbuc2

Get in, I'll drive

750-h2

Cuda Cody

@Chris Pauluk   :clapping:  Thank you for sharing those.  That is super cool to seethe photos and read the story.  I've NEVER seen those photos before.  @wanderlustin  check these photos out!!!  :takealook:

340challconvert

Great behind the scenes pictures
Thank you for sharing.
:stayinlane:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Cuda Cody

These are too cool to ever see go missing.  I'm double posting the photo here on our server so they will be forever accessible for everyone to see.   :banana:   Click to enlarge.

Original text...

"Cool news!

This is where my passion for Dodge Challengers started! I was 11 years old at the time.

On January 22, 2018 I received a message from a producer of Graveyard Carz on Velocity.
The had seen some photos on my Vanishing Point Blog that my father took in July 1970 in Cisco Utah. We were on vacation and accidently ran into the filming location of the final scene of Vanishing Point. There's a long story behind all of this.
My father took 6 Behind the Scenes photos that were originally on slide film, of the Challenger with Barry Newman, the Bulldozers and the Unlucky 1967 Camaro that was used as a stand in for the crash into the Bulldozers at the end of the movie. These are the only known Behind the Scenes photos in existence!
On January 25th I send the photos to Graveyard Carz. They aired the pictures on GC on January 31st with credits to my father and myself!

2 of the VP Behind the Scenes photos were also published in a book about Mopar E-Body cars. The book was written by Robert Genat. Robert sent me an autographed copy of that book several years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Challenger-Cuda-Mopars-Body-Muscle/dp/0760318646

Here are the 6 photos. Please enjoy them but don't use any of them for any "for profit use"!
Also the link to my blog.
http://users.wowway.com/~tjasiewicz/VanishingPoint/vpbehind.htm

Cuda Cody

750-h2

Chris. Any chance you can go back to that facebook page and ask Tom if he remembers the size of the engine in Kowalski's Challenger?  This has always been a mystery. Even Barrie Newman was asked in a magazine article but he really had no clue. Most believe it was a U code [440 4 barrel] but it has never been confirmed. :fingerscrossed:

Jay Bee

FSHTAIL

The trailer is full of batteries to power the camera

FSHTAIL

750-h2

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on February 05, 2018, 06:00:13 PM

White rallye mirror and looks like blue interior. Not the 71 movie car?? Do you have more info?

RUNCHARGER

It was a 440+4. Apparently they blew a few up with the high speed runs and 3.54 gears. They swapped some in from the damaged Highway Patrol cars. It seems to me one of the Challenger was a 383 but the other ones were supposed to be 440+4.
Sheldon

Racer57

One of these days I'm going to have to watch that movie as much as you guys talk about it.   :D