Main Menu

Want to learn to Paint

Started by erik70rt, August 25, 2020, 09:41:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

In all the years I've been working on cars, I never learned how to paint a car.  I can paint parts and such, but never painted the sheet metal. 

That being said, I'm looking for advice on purchasing a good set of paint guns for a novice.  I see lots of them out there, but want to make sure I make an educated decision. 

My compressor at home is a 60 gal single stage Puma 17cfm @ 40 psi 15.5 cfm @ 90 psi. 

What advice do you have?
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Mopar5

I would look at the Devilbiss guns .Good tech support as well The finish line guns are a good inexpensive gun. The Devilbiss plus is better. i painted a show winner using a Devilbiss finish line gun I used it from all epoxy and primer coats to the finish paint. Then after you learn more you can move up if you feel the need.

Rich G.

Plenty of U Tube videos out there. Kevin Tetz has a nice Paintucation Video a have and watched years ago. Very good advice. He also has a nice set of other videos.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/303231527828

erik70rt

Quote from: Mopar5 on August 25, 2020, 10:02:38 AM
I would look at the Devilbiss guns .Good tech support as well The finish line guns are a good inexpensive gun. The Devilbiss plus is better. i painted a show winner using a Devilbiss finish line gun I used it from all epoxy and primer coats to the finish paint. Then after you learn more you can move up if you feel the need.

Do you mean the Starting Line guns or the Finish Line guns?  Quite a price difference between the two.

Mopar5

I was referring to the finish line . I have not used the starting line before so I could not comment on them.The gunman on you tube has a video review of the starting line.

tparker

I painted my car a a year or so ago. I went through a bunch of stuff. I don't really plan on doing it again, so your journey may differ. But I second some of the comments about.

Kevin Tetz' Paintucation Videos are great. But I also learned A LOT from his eastwood videos.

Devilbiss had the best option for me for a paint gun. A decent gun for a decent price. The one I had different size tips so I didn't need several guns. I think it is a great starter gun. If you're really getting into it, then more specialized and higher quality gun may be better. I bought a cheap summit gun and this one was far better.

Also, having a good paint store and finding a good employee is awesome. I went to one for a while far away that was part of Napa auto store, and one lady was helpful but the rest sucked. Not friendly, commenting on mistakes, just plain wrong in some cases, etc. Then I found one around the corner that was super helpful. Everyone that worked there. Plus their shop had better selection of materials. To bad they closed down due to the corona virus.

Having some place to paint is good. I build a "booth" out of plastic from some old pop up tent frames. Sounded good, but I think I got a lot of "dust" from dried paint. Pain't doesn't stick to the plastic too well. I tried with some ventalation but it wasn't enough to really work.

I had some issues with painting the lower rockers. I put a regulator and filter on the end of the gun. This made it hard to get to the lower areas of the car.

And probably one of the most important things I think, is to have a written plan. At least in the beginning. It is SO easy to forget something. Just making sure you have all the needed supplies on hand. But also the steps.

JS29

Buy a Harbor fright cheep-o gun for priming, They also have some better guns that are suppose to be copied after the high dollar guns. I don't like using the same gun for all the processes.  :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

IMO, the best way to learn is hands on.  Most of painting is all about the prep.  So learn good body work and metal work will make you a better painter.  Quality paints make it easier too.  But if I was serious about doing it I would just fly an expert in and learn with some one on one.

Kevin Tetz is really a nice guy and could teach you a lot.  If you want I can put you in touch with him if you want to fly him in for some one one on.

Ifixmycarmyself

I recently painted a 70 challenger F8 (dark green metallic) the final paint is just the last 5% of the job. The rest is bodywork, more body work, primer, filler, sanding, block sanding wet sanding, correct light, a paint boot, type of paint, type of weather, good eyesight....and a portion of good luck. If there are 10 steps in the paint process an expensive gun won't make up for a mess-up in the previous steps.
In my opinion Pete from DIY Automotive School on Youtube has really good advices for DIY guys, especially some videos he made some years ago about diy painting cars. He goes through the whole process and what you basically need without all the BS and million-dollar equipment. Youtube clip:https://youtu.be/hEWcFLNzpyM
One of the best DIY stuff out there about painting  and much more..

During the paint job I used 4 different guns. A cheap really large one with 1.7 nozzle, suction cup, for primer and thicker filler. A cheap-medium price, gravity cup 1.2 nozzle for painting smaller parts, door jambs, etc. A smaller suction cup, 1.0 for touch up paint and an expensive 1.4 gravity cup, for base and clear. maybe the most expensive is also the most difficult one to use and require som experience or training because of the amount of paint it lays and the speed you need to have to avoid paint runs. So maybe in some occasion more expensive is maybe not the easiest.
In my opinion a somewhat cheaper gun will do it in the beginning. Just my opinion.
Anders

Mopar5

A good painter can layout beautiful paint with a cheap gun as long as it doesn't leak and can atomize decently.

nicka

My first paint guns.  I recall picking it up at a car show.  For primer and paint. 

Mopar5

I bought my finish line gun about 10 -15 years ago and I only use it for primer now but it's still works great every time and have yet  to replace a part on it . I just clean it well after every use. I even have the same plastic lid on the metal cup.

erik70rt

Thanks to all for the feedback.  Cody - I really appreciate the offer but I don't think I'll go that route.  I have a couple of local guys who can teach me. 

I recently purchased a 1944 Willys MB jeep project and was planning on painting that one myself since it's just primer and flat OD paint.  When it comes time to paint my 'vert - that's going to a pro!   :banana:

RUNCHARGER

Buy a relatively cheap gun for primer and get used to using it. I would also buy a small touch up gun as they are easier to handle, you mix less paint for them and they will get you used to the techniques as well.
Sheldon

erik70rt

Quote from: nicka on August 25, 2020, 05:56:46 PM
My first paint guns.  I recall picking it up at a car show.  For primer and paint.

Just ordered one of those sets.  Looking forward to trying it out.