Main Menu

Weird home/yard security issue looking for ideas

Started by 1 Wild R/T, July 04, 2017, 05:53:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

So a few days ago a neighbors truck was broken into & some item stolen... There's video, pictures of the thief & his three friends, he rides a bike, they are in a car.... Apparently after breaking into the guys truck they stashed the loot in my stand of Sequoias, then broke into a few more cars again stashing the loot in my trees & finally collecting everything & slipped away..... This was going on after daybreak as people were going to work.....  Anyway, I'd like to set up something to deter them for going into my trees.... I've considered water spray or possibly an alarm bell....  Problem being I don't want the alarm triggered every time the wind moves the trees..... Couple pictures first the trees screen a 7'4" tall block wall which means there's a dead zone between the trees & the wall... Apparently thats where they are stashing stuff....Two neighbors cameras picked them up going in & out..... Second shot shows the dead zone.... Pretty secluded... I've thought about water spray but figure they'll get wet once or twice then they'll destroy the spray head....Loud alarm might work but I don't want 50 false alarms just to solve this....

Anyone got a brilliant idea?

Cudakiller70

Cuda Cody

Raise the canopy of the trees off the ground to about 4 to 6 feet.  So then you have your beautiful trees, but the bottom lower 4' to 6' is open and easy to see everything that goes on.  Nobody will want to hide in there.   :notsure:

1 Wild R/T

Sorry trimming the lower branches away isn't gonna happen...  Might as well string up some barbed wire.... 

Cuda Cody

This might sounds funny, but it works.  Do you have a dog?  Smear dog poop on the lower section of branches then the first time anyone goes in there will be the last.  We had a similar problem with people climbing our fence in one spot at work, so we put dog poop all over the fence in that area and they completely stopped climbing over it.  I don't care who you are, you don't want dog poop on you.

Cudakiller70

Plant some cactus or thorny type bushes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bougainvillea
Have this bush grows pretty fast, I don't care how careful I am trimming it I get stuck even through gloves. Frost gets it some, but it does come back stronger.

Cudakiller70

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 04, 2017, 06:07:13 PM
This might sounds funny, but it works.  Do you have a dog?  Smear dog poop on the lower section of branches then the first time anyone goes in there will be the last.  We had a similar problem with people climbing our fence in one spot at work, so we put dog poop all over the fence in that area and they completely stopped climbing over it.  I don't care who you are, you don't want dog poop on you.

I still gotta mow in there....  I've had bougainvilleas before it might be ok, unfortunately they spend half the year dead... Plus they like full sun & this area is shaded a good bit of the day......

Security cameras & signs telling them about it are all around they don't care.... When I bought mine I thought it would deter them, nope, they don't care & the cops don't do anything with footage... So in the end all it does is let you see WTF happens late at night when your sleeping... Scary..

RUNCHARGER

Motion sensor or trip wire wired to something. Maybe an alarm, maybe something with more imagination.
Sheldon

jimynick

If you're going to be continuously going in there, there probably isn't much you can do to make them permanently leave. If you weren't, then I'd wire the area with an electric fence maze as a farmer would and let's see if the lads brought their insulated gloves. A neighbourhood watch is the most likely effective defense, as if several homes respond and can see where the thieves are, and armed men confront them, they may get the hint. Call your old friends Smith and Wesson in a pinch.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Marc70challenger

I hate thieves.  Personally - I'd dig some varying 1 foot by 2 feet deep holes and cover them.  Let the scumbags break their ankles. You can easily mark them for you and make them attractive to walk on at the same time.   just pay attention to how you walk through brush and choose where to put your feet ... it's human nature.    ;)

Cudakiller70

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 04, 2017, 06:03:25 PM
Sorry trimming the lower branches away isn't gonna happen...  Might as well string up some barbed wire....
You really only need 2 maybe 3 feet up, if that just enough to see.
I could see how that would be inviting to criminals, corner lots seem to be popular for home invasions.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on July 04, 2017, 08:57:31 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 04, 2017, 06:03:25 PM
You really only need 2 maybe 3 feet up, if that just enough to see.
I could see how that would be inviting to criminals, corner lots seem to be popular for home invasions.

Oh, I don't worry about them coming into my house.... Between my dogs, my security system with cameras & my old mossberg they don't want to come here.... I just don't want them hiding stuff in my trees....

Talked with momma & I might take out the low branches maybe to 36"-42" not 5'-6'.. It'll make mowing easier anyway....

cuda hunter

motion sensor lights.   Hunting camera's. 

No thief likes to be spot lighted.  and hunting camera's are chainable and lockable.  Only way to disarm is to spray paint on the lens. Just put them up high. 

Day time, can't help you there.  Everything I would do would hurt them and that's probably not what you want to do. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: cuda hunter on July 04, 2017, 10:17:42 PM
motion sensor lights.   Hunting camera's. 

No thief likes to be spot lighted.  and hunting camera's are chainable and lockable.  Only way to disarm is to spray paint on the lens. Just put them up high. 

Day time, can't help you there.  Everything I would do would hurt them and that's probably not what you want to do.

We have cameras all around the neighborhood... We have signs telling people there are cameras.... They don't care.... While I might be willing to inflict pain the fact I live in California means I would endure more pain then the criminals.....

I actually like the idea of this little device......

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/661924790

trip wire, .38 cal blank, should get the trespassers attention along with people nearby... Unfortunately where I live I'd be the one talking to the cops....