Main Menu

What restaurants are open by you?

Started by JH27N0B, April 25, 2020, 05:57:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

I get Chinese carry out every couple weeks.  There's also a little Thai restaurant I get carry out from near me.  The weekend the governor shut down the non essential businesses here, my go-to Chinese place put up a sign in the window they were closed. I was a little surprised as they just do carry out so I thought their business would stay steady or even increase.
The next week I ordered Thai, that place has about 10 tables, they couldn't do dine in due to the restrictions, but still offered carry out.
Missing Chinese, I called another place tonight to order carry out.  No answer.  I then called the Thai place, no answer.
Pizza places still open, drive throughs at chains like McDonalds and Culver's and KFC.  But it seems like most of the other restaurants that were trying to do carry out, delivery and curbside are giving up on that idea. I've heard a lot of talk recently about supporting your local businesses during these hard times, but maybe it is all just that, talk.
The little places are often just ma and pa businesses.  Will they ever be able to reopen  when the pandemic winds down or are they doomed and will only chains be left?  :crying:

dodj

Well, I'm in a different country, but,
All restaurants that offer take out are open...if they want to be open. The only ones closed are the 'sit down' only places.
In  :canada:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

blown motor

Most places that offer take out are open. However, there's two pizza places in town. One closed and one is open. Unfortunately, it's the good one that closed.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Dakota

We don't eat out all that much but the few places we do go are staying open for "take out" deliveries.   The major chain fast food places are open.    There's lots of encouragement on the local radio and TV stations for listeners to support the area's restaurants by getting a meal or two a week from them.

torredcuda

Most around here are still open, not for sit down but many have added take out and delivery.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Timbbuc2

Most places here that have drive through are open. When in public I do wear a mask and gloves, even at work I do the same. But I go out to do  some shopping I cant believe the amount of people not wearing any PPE,  with that being said do like Georgia  open up
Get in, I'll drive

captcolour

I saw an article on social media about this a week or so ago.  Combination of people associating the covid-19 with China, them not being able to get workers to come in, and difficulty in getting supplies.  Here's an article which wasn't the one I saw:

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/operations/half-nations-chinese-restaurants-have-closed-study-finds

Rich G.

There's only 2 things you can't get in Jersey, Chinese food and toilet paper and that for the life of me I don't understand why!

JH27N0B

Quote from: captcolour on April 26, 2020, 06:32:34 AM
I saw an article on social media about this a week or so ago.  Combination of people associating the covid-19 with China, them not being able to get workers to come in, and difficulty in getting supplies.  Here's an article which wasn't the one I saw:

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/operations/half-nations-chinese-restaurants-have-closed-study-finds
Thanks for the article, it is very interesting!
I question if it's limited to just oriental restaurants.  The Thai place I mentioned isn't the only place near me that I saw doing carry out and curbside pickup that seems to have thrown in the towel after a few weeks.  For example, a sports bar near me that features pizza, ribs and hamburgers had curbside pickup with signs up advertising and employees outside waving at passing motorists, within a week, no more.
There's a classic Chicago area staple type restaurant right across the street from me, a Greek gyros and hotdog stand that the owner retired and sold to a Mexican family 15 or 20 years ago. They kept it basically same but added tacos and burritos to the menu.  Now that I'm working from home I have been walking over at lunchtime at noon regularly to get a hot dog or tacos.  There will only be one or two other customers. Last night after my quest for oriental food failed, I walked over to get a gyros and I was the only customer.  I wonder how much longer they can continue with it so slow.
I've taken getting a great variety of different restaurant foods for granted and wonder now if most of these restaurants will fall victim to the pandemic?

anlauto

My wife has a rule "she don't cook on Fridays" ...so we typically go out for dinner or order out once a week...

I think just about every restaurant in our town is open for take out or delivery only. We have had Chinese a few weeks ago...this past Friday we ordered from a English Pub that I don't think would normally have take out but now are having to adapt. We had a mess of chicken wings and poutine....the food was excellent, never eaten there before, but her and I will likely head there for "date night" when this is all over  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

My no cook night is Saturday's.  I get a big meal like Chinese or Pizza and have leftovers for another meal during the week and often a lunch too.
Been doing that for many years, I'm bummed as it seems like going forward, my choices will now be down to pizza or a bucket of chicken from KFC or box of chicken from Popeyes.

superdave

I was talking to someone the other day who was venting because his friends own a local pizza place. Supposedly their business is up almost fifty percent since the shutdown and they were getting some of the bailout money. :dunno: