Main Menu

Wheel Lip Moldings

Started by Chaos-N-Mayhem, October 12, 2019, 07:57:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chaos-N-Mayhem

A buddy came over yesterday with aftermarket wheel lip moldings he had. We wanted to test fit them on my car and compare them to my old ones which I believe were originals. Although the moldings had a very similar appearance I noticed 2 things. First the aftermarket set was just slightly thinner, but not by much and you likely could not tell on the car and two, it seemed the aftermarket has the overall wheel arch shape they don't do a great job of following the wheel arch as it rolls under the contour of the car. We played with them a bit and they will fit. However when we held the factory ones up there they fell right into place.

There seems to be a couple 1970 Challenger moldings out in the market and wanting feedback from everyone on what they think fits the best as the ones I have at home are mostly driver quality.

RUNCHARGER

Look for NOS Mopar ones if you can. I just sold a set for $500.
Sheldon

Chaos-N-Mayhem

If I thought I could get a set reasonably, I would. But would still like to hear feedback from those who have dealt with the aftermarket ones and how they fit to make a determination. I took a look at the pile I had and a couple were good but most were drive quality with a few blemishes. The others were bent or not great.

Katfish

Out of curiosity, are these front/back and side dependent?
1 PN for all 4 spots, or different?

Rich G.

I bought the OER wheel lip moulding for my 70 Challenger and they fit nice.

MEK-Dangerous

Quote from: Katfish on October 12, 2019, 09:32:39 AM
Out of curiosity, are these front/back and side dependent?
1 PN for all 4 spots, or different?

Unfortunately they are wheel specific. The front moldings are a little longer.

MEK-Dangerous

Quote from: Chaos-N-Mayhem on October 12, 2019, 09:10:04 AM
If I thought I could get a set reasonably, I would. But would still like to hear feedback from those who have dealt with the aftermarket ones and how they fit to make a determination. I took a look at the pile I had and a couple were good but most were drive quality with a few blemishes. The others were bent or not great.

I bought aftermarket moldings for my '70. It was so long ago, I can't tell you who I bought them from. I'll just say the fitment takes some massaging. You start in the middle to screw them on, then work your way out. I had to enlarge a couple of the screw holes, but they did look nice.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Is there more than one OER wheel lip moldings?

Rich G.

I think think so. I think OER is fairly new making Mopar stuff.  Like I said the challenger ones fit real nice but the Cuda ones not so good. Better,  but still needed to use a shrinker stretcher to make them fit.

Topcat

I have 4 used one's I'm planning on restoring for my Cuda.

But then I heard that there isn't as great clear anodizing being done anymore.
Parts come back with a slight cloudiness and not as bright

Anyone restore them before?