Main Menu

Why I don't sell on Ebay...

Started by Slotts, August 22, 2017, 04:11:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Slotts

Imagine this happening to you with a complete original six pack setup that just sold???  :verymad:

Click here.

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

Brads70

Wow !  :verymad: I've only sold on e-bay once , and that was 10-15 years ago.

cuda dad

I guess I have been lucky and it works both ways.  I have sent a lot of money via Pal Pal even to a member on this forum in good faith and it has worked out.  The internet and all that has come with it has made the world a closer community.  There will always be people trying to rip you off, always has been but there are things you can do to lessen those chances.  Inspecting or having someone inspect a vehicle before paying a lot of money for it is a good place to start.  In regard to selling, do your best to gather research on the buyer through their rating and feedback.

Rich G.

Knock on wood I've never had a problem buying or selling on e bay . I always check the feedback first.

750-h2

I had a bad experience and will never sell anything on Ebay again.   I sold a set of 340 manifolds. A month after the buyer received them without first contacting me he started an Ebay claim against me falsely claiming that they were damaged in shipping. Apparently he claimed that one of the bolting flanges had broke. No doubt he broke it while installing the pipe to the manifold. I had shipping insurance but Canada Post insisted that the forms be filled out by the buyer which he refused to do. To my astonishment Ebay ruled in his favour and refunded all of his money which they took out of my PayPal account. As part of the settlement Ebay instructed him to send the manifolds back to me. The buyer only sent back the one he broke and kept the good one after getting a full refund. I did eventually get my money back from Ebay as I could prove with postal receipts that the parcel I had sent him was twice as heavy as the one he sent me. Ebay still wanted a police report and I had to speak to multiple Ebay managers to finally get this resolved.  NEVER AGAIN!!! :thumbdown:

ViperMan

Ugh.  I too fall under the "I've been lucky" category, but I discovered a while ago that eBay really caters to the buyer and puts the seller through the ringer - it's no longer a place for the internet entrepreneur...  I was selling off some old RC car parts and someone won the auction, and after boxing it up I noticed that while eBay said the buyer had paid, PayPal showed no funds.  That's when I learned that, since I hadn't yet sold something like $3,000 worth of goods on eBay, eBay was holding my payment until the buyer claimed a successful transaction.  I actually called eBay and said it was the most insulting thing ever to someone (myself) who had been using eBay for over a decade.  Of course the Indian woman on the phone said there was nothing she could do, but that I should just "sell more things on eBay" to reach the limit.  I told her I was pretty sure that was the last thing I'd ever sell on eBay.  Thankfully, I did get the funds a few days later, and while I've still sold some things since then, it's only been little trinkets and stuff I didn't want anymore.

Katfish

I learned the hard way too, best thing you can do is immediately transfer funds out of PayPal and create special bank account to only use for payments.  PayPal won't be able to grab what's not there...
I got ripped off by seller, PayPal's response was, Sorry there's no money in their account.
When I countered that they should reimburse me, what's the point of paying you fees?  The only replied, we don't do that.

At least credit cards give some protection for their fees.

HP_Cuda

eBay was better for both buyers and sellers but that was like 15 years ago.

I've been burned before where they claim it was never shipped. Now if I sell something I really scrutinize the buyers before sending. If I hurt someone's feeling - I don't really care. Btw, my feedback is stellar so that amounts to a little bit with eBay sadly it meant more before.

Now eBay just cares about getting paid no matter the amount of fraud.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Street_Challenged73

eBay has certainly lost its luster in recent years. They actually used to be strict with keyword spammers, but clearly don't give two $h^%s anymore.

This seller's Super Smash Brothers listing continues to spam my e-mail account for a saved 'Metroid Complete' search. [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk Pro

ViperMan

Quote from: Street_Challenged73 on August 22, 2017, 05:29:51 PM
eBay has certainly lost its luster in recent years. They actually used to be strict with keyword spammers, but clearly don't give two $h^%s anymore.

<Image>

This seller's Super Smash Brothers listing continues to spam my e-mail account for a saved 'Metroid Complete' search. [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Tip that might help - add "-Mario" to your search - you can limit keywords from your search.  The only time that'll hurt you is if someone is selling a lot of games at once - it might not show up if they have a Mario game listed as well.

HP2

I quit using ebay about 10 years ago after they continually ratcheted up their seller fees. I was moving a lot of small part through them but eventually the fees began to match and then exceed my margin, so I bailed. I've bought a few things from there that i couldn't easily find other places, but I've not sold anything there in a long, long time.

Glow Worm

Quote from: Rich G. on August 22, 2017, 06:06:39 AM
Knock on wood I've never had a problem buying or selling on e bay . I always check the feedback first.
Same here.  The problems I did have were solved and or I got my money back on purchases I made that were falsely advertised or if the merchandise failed.
"If I had all of the money I have spent on cars . . . I'd spend it on cars."

BIGSHCLUNK

We have sold on EBAY (at the shop) on and off for years,. As of late we are getting an EBAY store up and running. First off people rarely leave reviews anymore. So counting on reviews is no longer always a viable option. Second we would leave a good review at time of sale only to be (attempted ) to be ripped off later. If I then leave a negative secondary I risk the chance of a shit storm coming back my way. And in these days of social media (google yelp facebook) not many are willing to take that risk.  Have had people file claims that they never got an item... when we have delivery confirmation from USPS or FEDEX. Overall we have been lucky, but always need to be on watch.