Main Menu

Winterizing?

Started by Wedg2Go, September 17, 2017, 11:47:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Wedg2Go

Moving from the lowland deserts of Arizona to the Rocky Mountains of Colorado is a constant lesson learning to adapt. One area where I lack "complete" understanding is winterizing a car for short term storage. Something we were never concerned about in AZ, unless it was  necessary through unforeseeable circumstances.

So what tips and tricks do you do to prepare your ride for storage?

Fortunately, I did have the foresight to incorporate a heated garage when our home was built.

BTW - I know asking something like this is way too soon, but it's coming! 44 in the mountains this morning.

Cuda Cody

I'm curious to hear what other people do, but for me I keep them running and driving all winter.  I look for a nice dry day then get them all out and take them for a short drive.  Keeps the fluids moving and the tires from sitting to long.  But with out winters sometimes they sit for a couple months before I can get a nice dry day.  I do keep the batteries charged.

JS29

Fuel stabilizer in A full tank, I disconnect the battery and put it in my basement, Non heated garage. I place mouse traps in the garage with peanut butter. I don't put the cars on blocks under the suspension just in case I have to move it in A hurry.  I would think twice about parking my daily driver in that garage, the moisture would not be good for the car you are trying to preserve. not to mention your daily driver will rust faster in A heated garage. pull your floor mats and leave your E- brake off.  :alan2cents: 

Spikedog08

All good information here . . . My garage is heated but I almost treat it like it is not.  I add the fuel stabilizer, make sure the tank is full but I do not start the cars through the winter . . . I will fog the engine with a fogging oil spray through the carb and that typically protects the internals for the winter.  I started this when i bought my inboard ski boat . . That was part of the winterization procedure that was in the owner manual.  I figured. . . . What's the difference?  Boat has a 351 ford motor . . .

Put the battery on a trickle charger along with the other batteries . . . 6 total.  Then patiently wait for spring.  Have long winters here in Michigan . .
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

RUNCHARGER

Full tank of fuel, disconnect the battery but put a tender on it. Try to drive it once a month. If you do start it, warm it up well.
Sheldon

Wedg2Go

This old Desert Rat is learning quite a bit here about cold-weather storage.

My first year, in Colorado, I didn't have the "other" car to store. I left it back in Arizona until I could find the proper means to transport to my current location. The second year wasn't so bad. There was times I could take it out of the garage for a short drive between the winter storms. Last year, it was stuck in the garage for three months. Too much snow outside the garage door that wasn't melting quick enough.

Just prior to bringing it to Colorado, I let the car sit for 4 years (for reasons I won't discuss here). Needless to say, I placed flat spots on each tire. After this episode, I want to be extra careful to never repeat. So, I was wondering, if anyone used the following item and if it really works?

raceramps.com/car-ramps/car-storage-ramps/flatstoppers/

Cuda Cody

If your garage gets close to freezing then you might want to keep the tank about 7/8th full.  The fuel will expand with temperature changes and can come out the fill tube.  If you are using an original fuel tank that has the 1 gallon expansion tank built in then it's not a big deal, but reproduction tanks do not come with the inner tank.

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 17, 2017, 02:38:28 PM
Full tank of fuel...

Chryco Psycho

50% antifreeze mix you do not want a cracked block if the heat fails for any reason

dodj

Stabil  in the fuel. Mouse traps on the floor. Bounce sheets and/or Irish spring in the car. Steel wool in the tailpipes. I get the tires off the floor as well.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

blown motor

All good advice here. When you put Stabil in the fuel take the car for a run and open the four barrels a few times to get the Stabil though the whole carb.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Wedg2Go

All great advice of which I am going to take the "Lion's Share" of and run with it! Thanks!