Main Menu

Wow Paint Prices.

Started by js27, March 11, 2020, 09:26:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

Okay now I get why paint jobs cost so much. I need to do some touch up in the trunk of my 67 Satellite.  I just bought 1 pint of single stage enamel-hardener-reducer-2 rattle cans of primer and with my company discount it cost $140.00.
My how Times have changed..
JS27

1 Wild R/T

Here in California that same list would easily be $200-$250.....

I remember walking out of my favorite paint store back around 82 with a big bow of supplies, 5 quarts of Centari, reducer, hardener, primer, sand paper, filler... All for less then $80.....

7E-Bodies

I've been quoted $900 for a gallon of ppg for my 70 F8.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

PLUM72

Those old 60's and 70's colors were not very complex compared to today's pearls and such.  Material costs cant be that bad for the old colors.  The regulations to store and ship hazardous goods has gone crazy.  So has corporate greed for revenue.   The pictures below may have some thing to do with it as well...
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

Jocigar

I just finished my first project in a long time.

basecoat pint and reducer, qrt clear and activator, gallon lacquer thinner and can of adhesion spray for plastics $148 .... to be honest I expected it to be more since so many people talk about cost of paint.

I used OMNI which I understand is an affordable line from PPG...  worked out nicely, so I will using Omni to paint my daughters Dart after I finish the body work.

... I did notice a gallon epoxy primer  DP50-LF $265, activator $90    :o

Chryco Psycho

A decade ago when I did my Challenger Before water based paints my material costs to paint my Chall exceeded $6000 , epoxy primer , base clear plum crazy ,with extra clear coat nothing really special  :Thud:

JS29

Do not forget the tree hugging freak's!!!  Every time I get supplies, something has gone up in price. And just so Y,all don't feel left out, I have to save up and bite the bullet to do my own vehicle's and I own the shop. :pullinghair:

js27

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on March 11, 2020, 09:45:52 AM
Here in California that same list would easily be $200-$250.....

I remember walking out of my favorite paint store back around 82 with a big bow of supplies, 5 quarts of Centari, reducer, hardener, primer, sand paper, filler... All for less then $80.....
Centari is all I used to paint 20 years ago. I really liked that paint. That is what I used to paint the underside of my Challenger.
JS27

JS29

I used to love centari, Then they killed it.   :bye:

RUNCHARGER

Centari was great, terrific correctness of shade too. I sprayed these 3 in Centari (FC7 colour was right but I wouldn't recommend trying to lay the metallic down perfect with it).
Sheldon

750-h2

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on March 11, 2020, 10:22:11 AM

When I bought my F8 paint in Canada this was the price with discount. 6 liters of F8, 6 litres of clear , 2 liters of sealer = $4,000. :o

JS29

jimynick

Quote from: 750-h2 on March 12, 2020, 03:23:45 PM
Quote from: 7E-Bodies on March 11, 2020, 10:22:11 AM

When I bought my F8 paint in Canada this was the price with discount. 6 liters of F8, 6 litres of clear , 2 liters of sealer = $4,000. :o
Wow! Did ya get a kiss with that? You usually get a kiss when you're being screwed! That's highway robbery. I'm in the middle of painting my Challenger and have been buying supplies and pricing paint all week including today and if you shop around and don't have to have a big name on the can, you can definitely do better. A quart of RM/BASF base was $72 my cost. I bought a gallon of polyester 2K 4:1 primer yesterday for $129 including the activator. A 1.1L can of U-pol putty was $35 w/hardener and squeegee. Clear is all over the place, but a good, industry quality one can be had for under $200. Makes what's left of my hair stand on end to remember when my old man was the bodyshop manager and we were painting used cars complete for -$60.00, and making money, too.  :looney:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

nicka

I stopped by my PPG distributor for a couple of spray cards and asked him how much would it cost for PPG DCC Concept Acrylic Urethane for Sassy Grass Green. He told me $304 for a quart.  Also, the spray card needed 6 coats.  Ouch..

YellowThumper

In general terms. How many quarts does it take per coat for a full car.
Ir conversely how many coats per quart?
Obvious statement that I don't have a clue.
Basic ballpark guess.

Considering painting mine.

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.