Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: torredcuda on Today at 05:41:06 AMBackfiring is usually caused by timing, ignition or fuel issue (lean), could also be getting too hot. Do you have an accurate, working temp gage? You need to check for fuel and spark/ignition voltage when it is acting up to narrow it down. When were rubber fuel hoses replaced last as they can collapse inside? Coils can get weak when hot.

Yes there is a working temp gauge. Temps are fine. The weather has been in the 50s here so not too hot either. The fuel hoses are about 5 years old as is the carb (edlebrock). The car has a new fuel tank also 5 years old. The car ran well and had a tune-up about 1000 miles ago. I drive this car enough that it doesn't sit either (about 2k miles a year). Since March I put a few hundred miles on it running very well. Then this  started to just happen last week.

I usually just let my mechanic fix my cars, but this is a time when I think due to the intermittent circumstance I must check it myself when it occurs. I do have tools and a volt-meter etc (and am willing to buy any test device you suggest). I am more handy painting cars and interior work. Embarrassingly could you please, tell how I go about checking what you suggest. I will gladly continue to answer any questions you have. I am just not a good trouble-shooter and this might be a great crash course for me to learn so please bear with me.
General Topics / Re: Mecum Indianapolis ‘24 p...
Last post by blown motor - Today at 05:59:51 AM
Thanks for posting. Lots of e bodies there.
I did a bit of digging and found out the 1970 A66 Challenger had the R/T heavy duty 11" drums.  I measured them at 11" too.  So I've order Timken's from Rockauto. 

Thanks for your help and recommendations.
Electrical & Audio / Re: Intermittent problem with ...
Last post by torredcuda - Today at 05:41:06 AM
Backfiring is usually caused by timing, ignition or fuel issue (lean), could also be getting too hot. Do you have an accurate, working temp gage? You need to check for fuel and spark/ignition voltage when it is acting up to narrow it down. When were rubber fuel hoses replaced last as they can collapse inside? Coils can get weak when hot.
C
Parts Wanted / Re: 70 or 71 Gran Coupe Rocker...
Last post by CudaA39 - Today at 05:04:53 AM
Quote from: Cuda_mark on May 13, 2024, 02:22:33 AMAre they the same in 71 as the 70? I have a set for a 70.

Hi Mark pm sent
My 1969 Barracuda 383 has developed an intermittent drive-ability problem. (I know it isn't an E-body, but this is the only forum I am a member of for Cuda's and Challengers so hopefully you will still help me).   The car is completely stock and has points. The car will start and run fine, but at some point after about driving 40+ minutes will begin to, on part throttle, make little multiple minor pop backfires. If you hit the gas a little harder it won't backfire but you can feel the engine is not running at it's 'usual" best. Then if you turn the car off, it won't be able to immediately restart as if the battery is weak (which its not).  The ignition will just 'tick' but can't turn the engine over. If I try to restart it  an hour later, the car will run perfectly again for another 40 to 80 minutes until it reoccurs. An electrical shop says they can find no shorts nor get the problem to happen for them due to how it occurs. I can tell they see it as too ambiguous to be worth their trouble. I will also try  to find another place  willing to work on this type of issue.

The parts on these cars are inexpensive and easy to replace. In a worst case scenario where it can't be determined the cause, what are all the parts to blindly replace and in what order? I assume the voltage regulators (both dash and firewall),  ballast, coil, & points, first all at once to save time. Then the  distributor, alternator, fuel-pump, carb one at a time. I bet I missed some parts, what are they? Thanks for your help and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
General Topics / Re: HOT RODS,RAT RODS,CUSTOMS,...
Last post by 700 AKN - May 17, 2024, 10:10:40 PM
1969 AMC Javelin

General Topics / Mecum Indianapolis ‘24 pictu...
Last post by JH27N0B - May 17, 2024, 09:55:11 PM
I went down to Indianapolis Wednesday and checked out the cars there.  Got a Dodge Thrill ride while there, probably the last chance for me as I don't think those will continue much longer.  Nice free Dodge tee shirt from the ride too.
A coworker went with me and wanted to bid on an IHC pickup, it ended up selling for about twice what he wanted to pay.  In fact, most cars I watched were selling high. So much for Hagerty saying prices are down?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/111914442@N04/albums/72177720317065281/
X
Electrical & Audio / Re: Alternator Bypass Wire Rou...
Last post by xx88man - May 17, 2024, 08:55:46 PM

[/quote]
I went to a local battery shop and they made one for me.
[/quote]

Thanks I may try that
Thought I would add the guides I put together to this thread if anyone did not want to go through the other threads. Should answer Cuda Joe's question on setting ride height. Also, included the service manual section for same info.