Main Menu

Recent posts

Parts / Misc For Sale / Re: 383 shaker base plate
Last post by mopar jack - Today at 12:58:21 PM
Quote from: 72restocuda on Today at 09:00:39 AMhope you get to sell this part, just wondering if you have the adapter ring available
Sorry no ring. When I pulled this base plate I upgraded to a six pack and reused everything.
Stopped by the bodyshop today. They are painting it again as they were not happy with the results. Tough colour to paint they said? Maybe get it back atvthe end of next week.
Overheating issue. The pump is constantly spinning turning the fluid over when driving but you are not turning much. Energy put in that is not used turns into heat. Try new power steering fluid with higher temp rating might help or install a PS cooler.
"Why take the risk?"

As mentioned, we all have to determine what is acceptable  risks. Our driving in a 70s  era car is risky  in  itself. Drum brakes  have issues, brake  fade is a real  thing. The hood apparently can decapitate us,  if I believe what others have said. Apparently later hoods added a "crumple zone" to help  deal with  this issue. Will the steering  wheel  collapse on impact? that pin in  the steering  wheel  seems a bit  dodgy. Did it get rebuilt correctly if  it was rebuilt? Or is it still maintain the same tolerances after 50 years if not rebuilt? Are we relying  on our original 50 year old seatbelts? Hows
 that stiching? Are we running bias tires? How  does the  windshield hold up  to modern glass technology for shattering? No  Air  Bags,  ABS brakes, traction control, side mirror warning lights and alarms. And there  is a myth that older cars  are safer in crashes because they use real  steel and have more mass, but this  has  been  proven  incorrect  in collision tests. These  cars don't manage the force from a collision. True there  is some  advantages having a bigger  heavier car, but that has limited benefits. Your not gonna win  if you hit that tree.

There  are  risks and we obviously are ok  with these  risks. Perhaps  some  of us upgrade  the brakes and tires, but probably not much  else,   safety wise. The vary  act of driving  has inherent  risk. If  you ever went for a drive to get a slurpy  at 7-11,  your putting  your life at risk for  a slushy. It would suck to get into a violent crash because you wanted a slurpy. But we do things  like that all the   time because we accept  risk. To completely minimize risk we would drive vehicles with ALL  the possible protection  devices (think race cars with  roll  cages, helemts, 4 point harnesses, etc) and limit our driving  activities.  But of  course  we don't  do  that.

So at  the end  of  the day,  we each take on the risk  we are OK with and  we may adjust that calculus on  a  day  by  day basis.  That is why  I am ok  with driving a motorcycle, but not OK jumping out of a plane. To each his own. I find  it  fascinating to see how people perceive the same activity differently.
 Are there any chances of a mismatch on the pulleys or belt?  Wide 3/8 to  5/16, early-late.
A belt not riding high in the pulley V will make that noise when the belt is warm under load. The bottom of the belt should not touch the center bottom of the V.
 Proper belt fit will have the belt top at or above the pulley side wall V.

Parts Wanted / Re: Hardened oil pump drive sh...
Last post by Deezel - Today at 09:28:21 AM
Does anyone know if Melling has discontinued these?
I contacted them before I posted this but have so far not received an answer and don't suspect I will.
If anyone even has a lead on where to get one, at a normal price, I'd really appreciate it. I have found some but there's NO WAY I'm paying $360 US for a $60 part. Don't need to run a HV pump that bad....

Yes...  it's the Federal one.   
Parts / Misc For Sale / Re: 383 shaker base plate
Last post by 72restocuda - Today at 09:00:39 AM
hope you get to sell this part, just wondering if you have the adapter ring available
Are you using the original HEMI federal pump? Just curious.
I have a '71 Cuda with a stock hemi and stock exhaust (no headers).   I also added stock power steering a couple of years ago.   The problem I'm now experiencing only occurs after the car has been driven more than a half hour with outside temp above 60 degrees.   The symptom, as I can best describe it is that the power steering begins to 'chatter' when making even the slightest turn. It is terrible when you are trying to park as it is both annoying and noisy.  As you turn the wheel you can feel it resist and then release repeatedly causing what I am calling 'chatter'.   Because it seems to be related to heat,  I have changed the PS fluid to high temp fluid and I have also added an external cooler that is placed in front of the lower part of the radiator.  (All Hemi's came with a PS cooler but it was small and located near the exhaust manifold. I don't think they did much, but the engineers must have thought them necessary. I don't have one as they are now impossible to find, so I found an aftermarket one.)   I would like to better diagnose this problem before I start replacing parts.  Thanks in advance for your advise and suggestions.