Main Menu

Spring relocation kit

Started by Blake129, July 18, 2019, 10:27:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Blake129

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. I own a 1970 Challenger R/T that is in the beginning phase of rebuild. I've ordered a Mopar Performance 3" leaf spring relocation kit and plan on keeping the factory wheel housings as I am only running between a 295 and 325 series tire. After repeatedly crawling under my car and investigating photos online I'm a bit confused as to how this works. I understand how the bracket is welded into the section of the frame that is cut out for the front mount of the leaf springs, but it seems like on the rear on almost every kit the same mount point is used. This leads me to believe that only one end of the kit is being pushed in. So do the leaf springs not run parallel from the factory? Or are they parallel from the factory and this relocation kit is going to cause them to point in or out?

Thanks
Owner of 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T PCP (in progress)
512 stroker, Edelbrock Victor heads, Edelbrock Victor Intake, Solid roller cam, 2 step setup, 727 w/ manual valve body & transbrake, electric cutouts, cage car, 4.10s, caltrac / calvert racing suspension... building a mean street machine

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the forum @Blake129   :welcome: 

That's a good question.  I've seen a few different brands of kits.  Do you have a link to the kit you bought?

Blake129

512 stroker, Edelbrock Victor heads, Edelbrock Victor Intake, Solid roller cam, 2 step setup, 727 w/ manual valve body & transbrake, electric cutouts, cage car, 4.10s, caltrac / calvert racing suspension... building a mean street machine

Brads70

If your keeping the stock wheel tubs I wouldn't use that kit. I go for the traditional B-body width rear end and this kit. One stop shopping from DrDiff.
https://www.doctordiff.com/e-body-offset-spring-hanger-shackle-kit.html

Using the above kits makes it reversible , its all a bolt in deal. The kit you mentioned is quite permanent and would effect value down the road?  :alan2cents:  That, and you don't need a 3" offset.   

RUNCHARGER

I agree with Brad: You should be able to stuff 315's into a stock wheel tub and use the Dr. Diff kit to install a B-body rear end in there. It all bolts in, much easier than the kit you have.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site Blake  :wave:

gzig5

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 19, 2019, 07:06:22 AM
I agree with Brad: You should be able to stuff 315's into a stock wheel tub and use the Dr. Diff kit to install a B-body rear end in there. It all bolts in, much easier than the kit you have.

This is what I have done.  He doesn't always have the standard spring E-body kits in stock but he did a couple weeks ago and I snagged one for future install. 

CudaMoparRay

jimynick

Welcome to the site from Ontario  :canada: and good luck with your spring installation. I would consider the advice you've already been given though.  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Blake129

Well.. I got the parts in and the rear shackle on the mopar performance kit isnt an offset shackle. I went this route, because I'm also running a Calvert Suspension setup in the rear with their split mono leaf spring. According to their website they offer them in a setup which works with Mopar Performance or US Car Tool spring relocation kit.

Brads70

I'm guessing the stock gas tank won't fit with that set up?

Blake129

Not sure, didn't really take that into account, but this car is being built for street/strip so I might just go with a fuel cell in the trunk if need be.

I got my hands on a Dynacorn body shell, so I'm pretty much starting from scratch building this car...anything goes with the rebuild and the tank from my parts car will not be going into the new body anyways.

RUNCHARGER

Cool: I don't think many of those shells got out, not available anymore.
Sheldon

cordodge

Quote from: Brads70 on July 19, 2019, 08:06:18 PM
I'm guessing the stock gas tank won't fit with that set up?

That set-up was in my car when I bought it. The tank fits fine and also im running 3" TTI exhaust no issues at all.

Bruce.