Main Menu

Borgeson coupler with FF stage 2 steering box 5/8-36 x 3/4"

Started by greatscot333, August 18, 2019, 10:14:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

greatscot333

Hello

I was reading through some old threads about Borgeson vs. Firm Feel power steering boxes etc.
I saw a post that mentioned the Borgeson coupler so I went to their website and found this coupler a "Chrysler" 5/8-36 x 3/4".

https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1001&cat=24&page=2

Looking at the coupler product picture, it shows a splined side with a set screw and a jam nut on the splined side. It does not appear to have the hole for the large solid steel steering column pin and it does not appear to show any master spline like the stock coupler or a roll pin hole for the steering box splined shaft.
Is this coupler a Borgeson steering box only part? Can it be modified or welded on to a stock column? Is this advisable?
The reason I ask is, there appears to be a lot of parts in the stock coupler that (supposedly) do something useful. Looking at a simple coupler like the Borgeson, it does not have any of that stuff. Is it a good riddance type thing with buying a Borgeson coupler or is the stock coupler and all those parts better in some way?

Thanks in advance for any info you guys might have, Jon S.

Cuda Cody

I've only worked with stock set ups so not sure I'm much help with that set up.  I would think whoever's box you buy would be able to set you up with the correct adapter or coupler.

Priesty

The Borgeson or Bergman coupler is designed to fit a Borgeson box without cutting your original steering shaft. I don't think it's intended for use with original boxes.
Cheers....
Steve.
72 BS23 E55 'Cuda, Lemon twist.
Seaworks HDR by steve, on Flickr

greatscot333

Priesty

Thanks for your reply. I think you are right and I'll give Firm Feel a look for a coupler. That stock setup is kind of a pain and not sure all that stuff is necessary.
I notice your handle mentions "Leaning Tower Of Power". Do you have a slant six powered Mopar?

dodj

Quote from: greatscot333 on August 19, 2019, 05:08:27 AM
I notice your handle mentions "Leaning Tower Of Power". Do you have a slant six powered Mopar?
You will notice yours does too. It's a name tied to post count. Mine says six pack and I dont have one on my car or under my shirt...lol
Welcome to the forum!  :drinkingbud:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

greatscot333

Dodj

Thanks, that clears that up. I am six packless too but have an original '70 Challenger with a Clifford equipped slant six.
It's definitely no rocket ship but I really like it the way it is. It handles great otherwise bone stock with a rebuilt front suspension.
Yeah, no six pack. More like a drag radial.  :o)

7212Mopar

The Borgeson coupler is for their steering box and will require cutting of the steering shaft. It is not for the stock box. To use a Borgeson box without cutting the steering shaft, you will need an adapter from Bergman Autocraft. Their coupler makes it reversible if you decide to go back to stock later.
Firmfeel is a high performance stock steering box and you will need the factory coupler, pins, slider etc.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

greatscot333

7212 Mopar

Thanks for your reply. What you say makes sense. I was trying to get something simpler and there may be nothing like that out there.
I tried multiple sources of information and the answers are starting to come in.

I see your location is Nor Cal, me too. I am in the Grass Valley area. Do you ever go to some of the shows up here? The Roamin Angels put on a good one in Grass Valley every year.

7212Mopar

I am in the Bay Area by SFO. There are a few members here up in the Sacramento area. Thinking about attending Mopar muscle shootout at Sac Raceway Sep 7 before the track is closed.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

greatscot333

Cool

If I go too I'll keep an eye out and say hello.
I'd like to bring the car I am working on now. This is the final push, bucket list, do or die.
I've owned the car since 1987 and never driven it and it is fighting me on the one yard line fang and claw. This steering box fiasco is just the latest. Every time I turn around this damned thing takes a bite out of my ass (and wallet).
We started the thing for the first time Aug 2nd on a 25 year old rebuild and it actually ran strong on break in, then the steering box punked out on me. This has happened so many times that the entire car will either be rebuilt or brand new. The steering column and box was the only thing left and why would it work okay when every other dad gummed thing wouldn't?

I'm also from the Bay Area a little further East than SF. I (sort of) grew up in Danville and moved to the Grass Valley area from Bethel Island.

Thanks again for your help.

Priesty

Quote from: dodj on August 19, 2019, 05:21:09 AM
Quote from: greatscot333 on August 19, 2019, 05:08:27 AM
You will notice yours does too. It's a name tied to post count. Mine says six pack and I dont have one on my car or under my shirt...lol
Welcome to the forum!  :drinkingbud:
No a small block, I think the moniker is determined by how many posts you have, as I migrated from the CC forum I haven't posted much here yet.
Cheers....
Steve.
72 BS23 E55 'Cuda, Lemon twist.
Seaworks HDR by steve, on Flickr