Main Menu

1969-up 14'' Road Wheels

Started by benlavigne, January 27, 2020, 07:13:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

benlavigne

I'd like to get my car (1970 A66 Challenger, late-build, so it came with 14's) back to 14'' Road Wheels (AKA Magnum 500), as from new. I am aware that the chrome ones were not available after 68 on Mopars, that they were replaced with the model with trim rings. I have a couple of used ones, one has the spokes painted silver, the other seems to have polished spokes, almost chromed (both with painted pockets and rim)
Wheel Vintiques sells them, and they are chrome, event the ones designed to be used with trim rings.
https://www.wheelvintiques.com/wheels/muscle/84-series-magnum-500-road-wheel.html

So what is the correct finish? Can I get my wheels sand blasted, and simply paint the center silver, then mask for the blackout (Precut masks are available on Fleabay)?

Also, it looks like the rings are brushed, unlike the ones on my 15'' Rallyes, which are polished?

Last, was the center cap always the model with the ''bullseye''?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

anlauto

I've taken dozens of these rims to have them chemically stripped. I was told that the spokes were nickel plated and the chemical does not remove it. the trim rings were all brushed and are not reproduced. The center caps came in two heights, the shorter ones being correct for 1970 I believe. They all had the bullseye center sticker.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

benlavigne