Main Menu

Sun Visors

Started by PLUM72, February 19, 2020, 07:50:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

PLUM72

I have a 72 Challenger and always hated the short 72-74 sun visors.  Being a 72, the car has what probably was a left over 71 day/night rear view mirror with the slots cut into the mounting bracket for sun visors.  This looks bad and an after thought in my opinion.

What are the challenges ahead if I try to add a pair of the 70-71 sun visors into a 72?  Or am I better off buying a repro rear view mirror for the what is supposed to be the 72-74 models?  I am not after any kind of originality or perfect restoration here.  The car is a nice driver that was "restored" like 25 years ago.   

Thanks!
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

dodj

Personally I much prefer the 72-4 visors.  :dunno:
A lot easier and cheaper to swap out the mirror.
BUT, if you don't like them...they are in front of you every time you drive so replace with 70-71's.
:alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

fc7cuda

Several challenges actually.  The hole or opening for the 70-71 style knuckle is larger so you'd need to increase this size.  Redrill the 3 screw holes.  The mirror mounts up ok, but the visor tips may not reach or may be too close depending on your location of the larger knuckle opening.  Measure twice.  :bigthumb:

anlauto

One solution would be to remove the 73-74 visors from the pivot shafts, leaving them mounted to the roof. Then install 70-71 style visors with the 70-71 sun visor tip post onto the 73-74 pivot shafts....and you're all set. :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration