Main Menu

Paint question

Started by fireguyfire, April 04, 2020, 02:56:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I posted up a while back about if I should paint my 73 Chally with the doors and trunk lid on, or off; the general concensus seemed to be to paint with doors and trunk lid off as I'm not painting metallic paint.
However, I'm just about ready to paint and for several reasons it's going to best for me to paint the car with the doors and trunk lid on.
So, I'm wondering if someone that has painted a car this way could chime in and let me know the logical order of priming, re hanging the doors, painting the jambs and trunk jam, blocking and then finally painting the single stage colour.

jimynick

Probably 80% of regular cars get painted while assembled and it's usually partials that get painted piecemeal. Of course any priming would come before any painting. I think you should fit ALL the sheet metal prior to paint, as sometimes that requires a bit of pushing or shoving to get right. I'm doing my 74 Challenger right now and am priming and blocking the doors, fenders, hood and deck lid off the car. When I'm done that, I figure to paint the jams, then I'll hang them and try to achieve that decent fitment. Once I get there, I'll foam the panel gaps and paint the exterior. Chip Foose may be able to re-install perfectly painted parts and fit them without putting a mark on them, but I can't. good luck!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

Sorry to go off topic, but Ian what colour are you painting your car ? Flat black ? ;)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fireguyfire

What do you mean by "foam the body gaps"?

jimynick

Quote from: anlauto on April 04, 2020, 07:31:19 PM
Sorry to go off topic, but Ian what colour are you painting your car ? Flat black ? ;)
OH! You rascal, you!! No sir. I have been informed by the bride AND the son (who was to be married and thought it'd make a good wedding car), that flat black was not on the menu. It's kinda weird though, because of anybody who said anything to me about the colour of the car, 60-70% said they really liked the flat black. Go figure, eh Alan? I wish it were staying flat black, as that'd save me many hours with either a prime gun or board file in my hands!  :cheers:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: fireguyfire on April 04, 2020, 07:32:09 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a27wvFNIL-U

Not cheap, what part of the paint process is?  But it saves time & grief.. It works pretty well...

JS29

I have had good luck putting the tape on half way and rolling the tape back.  :alan2cents:

70 Challenger Lover

What a cool product! It makes me want to try painting again. Almost.

Rich G.

When I did mine I had the doors on but took the stryker off. When I started painting I opened the door, painted the inside or the door and then the quarter jam, gently closed the door and then started painting the car. No tape lines or worries about aligning anything up. The hood and doors got painted off the car. I actually saw that on How it Made and the robots were painting a BMW . Pretty amazing to see that done!

tparker

Kevin Tetz from eastwood videos has several eastwood videos all about painting. Its a pretty good spread for someone just starting to figure things out. I followed his advice through out and it worked out well. In particular he has one that goes over the order of painting panels.

jimynick

Quote from: fireguyfire on April 04, 2020, 07:32:09 PM
Sorry for the delay replying, They sell round foam stripping in various diameters that have an adhesive stripe on one section of the round, that goes the length of the roll. This allows you to cut a piece the length that you need and stick it so that 1/2 of it sticks out past the edge of the panel it's been stuck on to. This allows you to seal the gaps between doors and 1/4's or fenders that otherwise would get overspray blown through them; with the attendant misery of cleaning said overspray off parts you didn't want to get it on. Capice?  :cheers:

fireguyfire