Main Menu

70 B5 A66 Challenger

Started by 340Challman, October 26, 2020, 07:15:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

340Challman

Hi Guys. Well my car is finally going to the massage parlor so she can return looking and feeling her very best. I'm not doing the bodywork. I'm leaving that to ones much more skilled than I. However, I will be restoring the pieces and parts that are within my skill level and I will be posting pictures of the work they and I are doing as we go along.
Because I know  :needphotos:

First order of business. Windshield wiper pivots. I'm starting with them. They look to be a cast aluminum housing with a steel shaft, grooved head of course and steel arm. The head appears to have been peened on the shaft and the same for the arm. Most likely simultaneously. Can these be disassembled to be restored? I'm assuming there is some sort of bushing in the aluminum housing. From the looks of it, the aluminum appears to have been just natural finish, but what about the arm? what finish is it supposed to be?

Thanks guys. Let's talk pivots! :looney: :)
Kevin

340Challman

Nobody? Someone must have taken one apart. Does everyone just send them out?
Kevin

anlauto

I've only ever done a "cosmetic" restoration, I've never taken the pivots apart. Not even sure how they come apart.
I would bet Stephan has some insight... what do you say @SF-Resto ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

SF-Resto

Yes Alan, I take them apart.
The aluminum casting has some brass bushing inside .
The shaft are metal and I send them out to be re-plated in clear zinc. There is a rubber gasket at the base of each pivot, they are usually shot and need to be change.
I had a tool made in order to get the nipple and shaft out without damaging the pivot casting.
I will send pictures tomorrow...
Stephan

340Challman

Instrument light bar question guys. The green lenses and rivets, where does one get their hands on these? I've looked pretty hard and came up empty. I'm sure these are being replaced when restorations are performed. Most of mine are broken and the rivets are rusty. Also, what sheen were the dash components that are finished in black? Mine look to be more on the flat or matte side of the spectrum. Is that just 50 years of finish deterioration? I would have thought they would have been a satin or maybe even a semi-gloss sheen.

Kevin

340Challman

Hi Guys,
What color or finish is factory for the clutch linkage and shifter linkage? Is it plated or natural? What does everyone prefer for their restoration? I won't leave them without some coating of some sort because I don't want rusty linkages in a month. If they are supposed to be natural, I will find the closest thing I can and powder coat them.

So let me know what you guys did and like to do. Thanks in advance.
Kevin