Main Menu

Exposed black plastic on rallye gauge cluster

Started by Skdmark, November 20, 2020, 08:46:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Skdmark

What is the finish of the exposed (when assembled and in a car) black plastic on a rallye gauge cluster?
The plastic parts that the woodgrain clamps onto.
Satin or gloss?

I picked up a cluster and am starting to dissect and clean. Having a hard time discerning the finish.
It looks like someone wiped it down with a harsh cleaner and now it is hazed and with streaks.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

anlauto

It's not glossy, I would stick with a satin if you're going to paint it.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Skdmark

Is it also satin on the horizontal return section along the bottom of the switch pod and gauge cluster?

If it's satin, I'll wet sand it to even out the finish and remove the scuffs etc. Then hit it with a satin clear coat.
The inset area around the gauges is painted and that I'll probably respray.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

JS29

I have seen plastic cleanup with rubbing compound.  :alan2cents:

Skdmark

I wet sanded a scratched up section under the switch pod with 1500. Then I hand buffed it with Novus polish 3 and 2 to see how it would turn out.
Looks much better, but is now glossy. I can knock down the shine with a satin clear, if need be.

Good call on rubbing compound it is pretty close to Novus 3.
-Harlan Ellison

Skdmark

Doing some more digging on this topic I came across this thread.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/what-is-the-finish-andor-look-for-black-undersides-of-rallye-dash-cluster/10161/

I'm trying to avoid painting the plastic housing.
To achieve the satin finish, thoughts on soda blasting to knock down the gloss? Would it make it too matte?
The other option is to use SEM Satin Clear.
-Harlan Ellison

Bullitt-

Try spraying Windex on the shined up plastic, always seems to knock down the shine.
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Skdmark

I know at one time Windex had ammonia in it.
That's probably what took the shine off.
-Harlan Ellison

B5fourspeed