Main Menu

1973 Barracuda Rear Leaf Springs ( help)

Started by acudadude, December 02, 2020, 07:56:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

acudadude

Hi, started working on my 73 barracuda after a long break. I'm about to order new rear leaf springs from Espo and need feedback on the 1.5 or 2" over stock height. Looking for that air shock type look. Back in 2013, I bought rear springs from Summit that were supposed to be heavy duty but they sagged very quickly. You guys gave good feedback for the Espo springs. Any suggestions on 1.5 or 2" springs? TIA

acudadude

Just found these pictures the day i installed summit springs back in 2013. Looks like they were around 24'' from the middle of the back bumper; they are now around 23'' i think i put about 200 miles on them must be cheap spring metal  :madashell:

acudadude

another

Chryco Psycho

Typical , I have had the same issue with all Mopar HD leaf springs . you can just add 1 main leaf with the ends cut off to the spring pack right under the existing main leaf , this is usually what I have done .
Not sure what to advise on the lift though , for me I would stay with 1.5 as 2" might be too high but 2 " could be rearced lower if needed

ek3

one trick we used on circle track cars running Chrysler leafs was to take the whole spring assembly out and place the front segment [2-3 inches from the eye] in a shop press . we took the free arch measurement and  actually cold bent -just- the main spring with the press to get  1 inch more arch in the spring. it may settle back a very  little but it will stay after re-settling .  1 inch is a pretty good change to the overall height.  you can put each side where you like if they are un-even. it does not take long at all to do and it will work. since you are not bending the entire pack, you are really  just changing the location of the eye . I don't think you would need at a maximum of 1.5 inches added to get a big change in the overall height. it does not change the rate of the spring just the location !

Those

This is my 1973 Cuda with Espo 2 inch over stock springs. I also have the front spring hangers with two holes. I'm in the bottom hole for maximum height. The times are 275-60-15's. The springs have been on for 7 years and I haven't noticed them dropping.

acudadude

Thanks Chryco, Ek3 and Those for the reply. Those i like the ride height of your '73 nice car by the way!