Main Menu

Flemings Ultimate Garage help

Started by rikkitik, December 02, 2020, 09:00:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

rikkitik

Hi all, new to the forum.
I haven't had a Mopar in quite a while, but looking to get back into one.

I'm in the market for an e body. I found a nice looking 1970 Challenger RT at Flemings in Rockville MD.
Unfortunately, I'm on the opposite side of the country. With Covid going crazy, I can't really see flying there to check it out.
Does anyone know anything about Flemings? Does anyone know of someone in the area that might be able to take a look?
Thanks much - Rick

rikkitik

The fender tag decodes as a real '70 RT, 335/383, 4 spd, 3:55 perf axle, upgraded interior. It has the broadcast sheet as well.
Fresh, correct B7 dark blue paint.
The engine, interior, body look great. The underside looks good, but has a pretty indiscriminate application of undercoat. It's hard to to tell for sure, but no obvious rust.
They sent a video, engine sounds nice, mild cam. Seemed to drive and shift well.
Thanks again - Rick

JH27N0B

I don't know the car or the dealer.  The price is high, I'd say $45-50k maybe if it checked out ok.
The white decal on the hood makes me cringe, should be black if coded for it, or no decal if not.  Easy enough to replace or fix if need be though.
I see a few flaws, and I'd try to find someone local to go see it if you can't travel to see it to document how it looks in person.
https://vmp.ebay.com/ebay/viewAllPhotos.aspx?smid=35946183

rikkitik

I agree on all counts.
The white would have to go. I never cared for the '70 side stripe either, so that would go completely.
The price, to me, would be $55 delivered. But I just don't think I can do it without "eyes on".

Purepony

I didn't want to say anything but yeah the price is high. Fleming's always has high prices but cool color combo if you ask me

Poolshark314

I live about 20 minutes from Fleming's and actually knew people that used to work there. I'd be willing to drive over and take pics/ask questions if you would like.
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

Poolshark314

Quote from: Purepony on December 02, 2020, 11:49:44 AM
I didn't want to say anything but yeah the price is high. Fleming's always has high prices but cool color combo if you ask me

I agree with you on both counts. I dig the white T-stripe whether it is factory original or not. And yes Fleming's is generally expensive, but so is this part of MD. I actually got to drive my first E body there. It was a 74 Cuda 4 speed with a 383 in Orange.
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

anlauto

Looks like both stripes, the hood and the sides were added during the restoration :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

rikkitik

Quote from: Poolshark314 on December 02, 2020, 06:02:47 PM
I live about 20 minutes from Fleming's and actually knew people that used to work there. I'd be willing to drive over and take pics/ask questions if you would like.
That would be fantastic, and a very generous offer. I was/am working with Rich Budman.
I'm not looking for a "pure", 100% car. So a few not so correct details don't concern me. I'm more concerned about rust/bondo/paint issues. The mechanicals I can easily handle.
I'm pretty sure there are a couple "fish eyes" in the paint, drivers side quarter, near the trunk filler panel seam.
That, and the "indiscriminate" undercoat spray on the undercarriage. It's pretty difficult to make an accurate underbody rust assessment from the pictures.
If you could find the time to check it out for me, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks again - Rick

RUNCHARGER

I think you're looking at a $30k-$35k car there.
I hate nitpicking cars but when you are asking more than $35k for a 383 Challenger you have to expect it. $5 rad cap, backyard gas line, painted door jam switches, homemade package shelf, black spray bomb underbelly, unprofessional paint prep and application. I agree with you that I could own a car like this as well and repair certain things and live with others however, I would not pay that high of a price for such a car.
Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 03, 2020, 07:37:43 AM

I tend to agree with these numbers...I see a lot of little mistakes like painted over latches, master cylinder reinforcement plate etc...that make me feel that it's had a pretty quick full and buff paint job :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

If your really interested in a car from there I HIGHLY recommend paying for a outside source inspection done. This place buys and flips cars and they are a dealer. So some are going be really nice and some are going look really nice in the pics. I bought my Cuda there and paid big bucks for it. I ended up restoring it because it was just a pretty face. I'm not blaming anyone. They just buy a sell. But I did see a lot of overpriced cars that looked good in the pics but sketchy in person. So this this 69 Charger R/T drove by that a salesman was showing with a hideous dry B7 paint job and rattle can black engine compartment. They wanted something like 40k for it. I asked my salesman about it. He said it was driver quality. So back to what I said. Pay for a written inspection if your really serious. It will either expose problems or confirm the quality. Either way you will have piece of mind. IMO

rikkitik

Thank you all, this is all greatly appreciated input. I'm a bit ignorant, pricewise particularly. I'm used to seeing "California prices", but no frame of reference as to actual sales price.
I'm just a retired, knuckle draggin' heavy equipment mechanic 😉, looking for a solid platform to build on.
Thanks again for the input. 👍

ek3

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 03, 2020, 07:37:43 AM
I hate nitpicking cars but when you are asking more than $35k for a 383 Challenger you have to expect it. $5 rad cap, backyard gas line, painted door jam switches, homemade package shelf, black spray bomb underbelly, unprofessional paint prep and application. I agree with you that I could own a car like this as well and repair certain things and live with others however, I would not pay that high of a price for such a car.
I would be weary of the bottom side of the car. not so much that it covered but if you want to re sell it you own that issue! a 383 4 speed car in that condition 30k is about fair. you can buy a lot more car for the money. if you fix it up right , you will end up with 10-15 k more in it maybe ? then with 60 -70 k in a 383 car you are getting close to v code car prices..