Main Menu

Clutch pedal travel

Started by Racer57, February 28, 2021, 07:46:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Friend of mine wanted me to ask here, because I don't know the answer.......... Recently he purchased a 4 speed Cuda with a RAM brand diaphragm pressure plate and noticed this piece of metal welded to the pedal. The clutch works ok, but is it there because of the type of clutch ? Is it needed ?

JonH

Really crappy way to make a homemade pedal stop. Not sure why anyone would do it that way. Nothing special about the clutch to warrant having it. You need a stop with a hydraulic clutch to keep from overstroking the clutch master cyl. Is the overcenter spring still on? Possible reason for the stop was pedal sticking to the floor during power shifts maybe? I would definitely remove it and if you need a stop make something adjustable attached to the floor board....

dodj

It's also possible that the wrong clutch fork is installed. Years ago before I acquired the correct clutch fork/pivot bracket, I had to use one from another application that would, if you weren't careful, push the throw out bearing too far forward. May not be your issue but possible.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Racer57

How do you know if throwout is going too far ?  He says the clutch is working perfect, so he really doesn't want to remove it. But its not suppose to be there so trying to understand why it is.

dodj

Can't give you a scientific answer, but in my case you could hear it.
That modification you show a pic of is compensating for something. I could be as Jon says as well. If you install a diaphragm type clutch AND leave the over centre spring in you need to limit the overall travel so the pedal will come back up. Would also need the clutch fork rod adjusted to compensate for the reduced travel as well. Sounds like it works so all the adjustments must have worked out ok if that's the reason.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Racer57

He checked last night and there is no spring on pedal