Main Menu

Wanted - 1970 Cuda Grille Bolts

Started by Jay Bee, March 01, 2021, 08:29:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jay Bee

I need 5 (or 7) of the original bolts in the picture. Some sets come with 10, others with 12.  Bought the installation kit then read the issues with the aftermarket stuff in a thread on CC.c  Goes without saying that I'd prefer to use originals. Don't know where the missing ones ended up, back in the day the grille was installed with a collage of hardware. Thanks

John

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=87657.0

YYZ

They look very similar to the bolts for the wiper pivots or that hold the dashboard in place (the ones in the upper defrost ducts).

Might be worth asking your contact on Mountain St if he has any in his stash of hardware.

I'll have a look in my garage today

Jay Bee

Yup, they do look similar to the ones in the dash vents but my car's not available to remove one for a look see.

My "Mountain St." friend sold his entire Mopar stash lock, stock and barrel ages ago. Last I heard he has a Pontiac Fiero.

Hope you find something since you're the only one to chime in - so far.

DeathProofCuda

Your "original" bolts look different than my "original" bolts.  Head size on mine are 3/8, but mine aren't as long as yours and are not pointed at the ends.  I'm not the original owner of my car, but have owned it since 1988 and am fairly confident that my hardware is original.  Lots of variation in production through the duration of the 1970 build period, as well as different plants, so not suggesting that your parts are not correct. :alan2cents:

Sorry for the sideways pics.

Jay Bee

Hmmm, another M&M, (Mopar Mystery).
In that CC.c link 67vertman's originals look more like mine than yours.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

DeathProofCuda

I can't see the photos in the CC.com link.  Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some hardware differences along the way.  My car is a fairly early build (September 1969) and has some other Mopar Mystery issues.  For example member 6bblgt pointed out to me that my car is not coded on the fender tag or broadcast sheet as having M31 belt moldings, which were reportedly standard on the 70 Cuda.  There are no belt moldings on the car.  My car also has very original looking carpet that has a heel pad with a slightly different pattern than what everyone accepts as standard.  Still trying to figure out whether this might be an early build variation.

DeathProofCuda

Just looked at the MMC (Dave Wise) Fastener Guide.  That shows pointed bolts like the ones you have, but also shows the AF head marking like on mine.  Good enough for me, I won't lose any sleep over it.

YYZ

I have a few of the style that DeathProofCuda posted - pm sent

Jay Bee

Vlad got me started -   :thankyou:   :thankyou:  :thankyou:
Could still use a few more of the pointy ones.

anlauto

@Jay Bee   Well John, I looked through my stash...here's what I came up with, oddly enough...5 pointed ones and 5 with a straight paint point.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

Thanks Alan, we'll work out a date and time for me to get them in the near future.
@YYZ  hope you didn't send yours out yet. If you did, oh well, I'll have extras.