Main Menu

Help/advise needed, pushrod lengths, non vs adjustable rocker arms?

Started by Cudakiller70, May 28, 2017, 09:50:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudakiller70

Did some pushrod measuring today. I've never done this before  :o hope this makes sense.
Pushrod length measurements some varied from 7.510 to 7.550, stock is 7.500. Heads have all new valves and shaved only.015 to clean up, using felpro gasket, compresses to I think about .044? Or close to that, heads torqued. Made solid lifter from old hydraulic lifter with recommended pre load of .080 (.080-.095 recommended), used comp cams threaded rod checker adjusting with till zero lash at rocker arm did all 16.
Im thinking I need adjustable rockers to mantain lifter pre load because length variances?
What do you suggest or would change or? Not seeing how non adjustable rockers will work  :help:

RUNCHARGER

I agree: I wouldn't be happy with .040 either. Can you lay a straight edge across all the valve tips and they are all level?
Sheldon

Shane Kelley

Only one thing to do here if you want it perfect. Adjustable rocker.  That's exactly why I always run them.

Cuda Cody

I would go with the Adjustable Rockers if it was me.   :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 28, 2017, 10:17:46 PM
I agree: I wouldn't be happy with .040 either. Can you lay a straight edge across all the valve tips and they are all level?

Like this....

Cudakiller70

The valve tips are not perfect, so that is the problem. How did the factory do this in production cars?
Ok then looking for adjustable rockers, I know the factory 273 are good, any brand recommended?
Or I should avoid?

RUNCHARGER

I like the 273's and about $100 seems to be the going rate on them. Check bushings and tips for wear though.
Sheldon

Cudakiller70

The only ones I've found around here is a guy parting out a car and he wants me to take the whole motor, me pulling it for $200 :Thud:

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on May 29, 2017, 09:40:56 AM
The valve tips are not perfect, so that is the problem. How did the factory do this in production cars?
Ok then looking for adjustable rockers, I know the factory 273 are good, any brand recommended?
Or I should avoid?
The head castings & valve seats were new so they were all the same  height ,as the seats wear & are recut they sink in the head making the tips taller this can be corrected with new stellite exhust sets & larger intake valves so you have new even seats

manycj

I'm probably no help on this, but when I was replacing the pushrods on my lowly 318 I did notice that the stock pushrods had a flats on the ends while the replacements do not.  This is why the replacements appear to be longer than stock.  No big deal for what I was doing.  I found this book to be very helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Small-Block-Mopar-Engines/dp/0895861283

-Chris
<I>If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so no onw can!"</I>

Cudakiller70

Quote from: manycj on May 30, 2017, 05:01:33 AM
I'm probably no help on this, but when I was replacing the pushrods on my lowly 318 I did notice that the stock pushrods had a flats on the ends while the replacements do not.  This is why the replacements appear to be longer than stock.  No big deal for what I was doing.  I found this book to be very helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Small-Block-Mopar-Engines/dp/0895861283

-Chris
Thanks Chris, this is helpful and would probably do me some good getting this. Appreciate the link, book has good reviews, sounds detailed. :bradsthumb: