Main Menu

70 challenger carpet

Started by 70rtse, July 30, 2021, 06:53:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70rtse

Going to look at a new carpet to buy  for a 70 challenger the guy said its to suit a auto what is the difference between manual and auto carpet

BIGSHCLUNK

Never heard of a difference, seeing you need to cut holes for the shifter and such. Just take your time, there is an "art" to cutting carpet correctly. I've never had an issue, but I've known a few that have and ended up buying another carpet

FE5CUDA

There's a molded hump in the center of the carpet for the 4 speed.

BIGSHCLUNK

Maybe things have changed, don't recall any choices when I bought mine

JH27N0B

I'm pretty certain carpet is sold for auto and manual, not one size fits all.

70rtse

Thanks for the quick reply
Though there was a difference
Doesn't seam to have the mould in the centre from the pictures.
Noticed that the one i brought years ago has a thick underlay underneath this one doesn't have as much.
Any way to tell if its a challenger not cuda.

anlauto

They are shaped totally different in the center hump area for obvious reasons. There is also 70 only carpet and 71-74 carpet do to the different seat belt locations.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

New carpet is fairly inexpensive so unless the guy is giving you a super great deal why take a chance? Another factor is that carpet that's been rolled up in its shipping box for a long time is hard to get level and get the creases out.  ECS used to sell "shipped flat" carpet for this very reason, it was never folded or rolled up in a carton and thus installed neatly.
The trick is to order carpet, which almost always is made to order for our cars, as it isn't practical to have a warehouse full of thousands of different color, pattern and model carpet variations sitting around waiting for someone to order something, and then when your order arrives, unbox it and roll it out on the floor flat.  Since it's only been folded up in the box a short time, the creases and folds didn't have time to set in.
I made the mistake of ordering carpet for my 70 Challenger project years ago while parts gathering.  I was naive then and didn't know any better so it just sat in its box never removed.  Years later when the project got near completion the shop ordered and installed carpet so that carpet I ordered still sits.
If anyone is interested in taking a chance on black manual trans Challenger carpet super cheap and is in the Chicago area let me know, I really should just take it to the curb to declutter my house...

70 Top Banana

Agree with Alan, different seat belt locations. Lay the carpet out in the sun for a while before you do the install. Take your time lining everything up and don't cut it to short! You can't add it back. Trim a little and fit. Trim less than a little and fit, until it is correct.

worthywads

For sure lay the carpet down and then place the console down before deciding where to cut.  I'm one of those that thought I was cutting correctly and then had to buy another.....