Main Menu

Difference in leaf Springs

Started by money pit, September 26, 2021, 11:51:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

money pit

Is there a difference between the leaf springs for a 7 1/4 rear end and a 8 3/4?  I replaced the 7 1/4 with a 8 3/4. I noticed the rear of the car sits a little lower (front end sits a little higher). The car was originally a slant six. It now has a 360. Do I need to replace the springs?  Thanks

MoparLeo

I saw this post in another forum. The springs are 50 years old.
They were for a light duty 318.
Changing the rear axle has no effect on the front suspension height. If you had the car jacked up on the front it will settle back down after 50 feet.
'For improved ride and performance, replace both the torsion bars and rear springs with the next step up from stock or higher. New shock absorbers as well. It will feel like a new car.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

JS29

:iagree: I also added a rear sway bar with bilstein shocks and a fresh alignment, Whole new car!  :yes:

money pit

Thanks. I think I will invest in a new set of leaf springs.

money pit

Did you add both a front and rear sway bar?  I don't have any sway bars. Does it make that much of a difference?  Thanks

MoparLeo

Your front lower control arms won't have the factory welded on tab to attach a front bar to. You might want to do that when you do a front end rebuild in the future unless you are going to fix everything at once.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

JS29

You will have the lower control arms off to get the torsion bar out any way, then you will have it done. To answer your question I already had a front sway bar on my car.    :alan2cents:  I used ESPO rear springs, PST torsion bars, both for a hemi/6pack car.  The rear bar came from firm-feel.