Main Menu

Slapstick linkage adjustment

Started by Caparco, September 26, 2021, 12:03:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Caparco

Does anybody know how to adjust the slapstick linkage? There is a gate that restricts you from shifting from drive to neutral without engaging,
  I did some topping on the linkage to get my new handle down, after that I've noticed it slipped into neutral, then I can shift down at the second with engaging back into drive and it will not slip into neutral anymore but it will slip into second without engaging just the opposite, obviously I tapped something down,
It's Amazing what we can accomplish~

With just a little bit of hard work.

And a whole LOT of complaining!!... lol

anlauto

There's only one place of adjustment on the automatic slap stick shifter and that's at the transmission. The rod that goes between the two levers has a block with a 1/2" bolt you loosen. Put the shifter in park, the transmission in park and tighten the bolt  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Caparco

Pretty simple!
Do at the swivel lock bolt.

Thanks so much

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparLeo

The "Slap Stick" mechanism is not adjustable. When you "tapped" the handle down you may have the shifter in a bind. Remove the handle and try to shift it before you reinstall the handle. Tapping is not required to install the shifter handle.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Caparco

Nope!.. that didn't work,
I think MoparLeo is right on track.

Thanks guys

Caparco

So the gate spring I changed, and obviously that's where the trouble begin, it had nothing to do with banging it,
Apparently you need the right tension spring especially from drive to neutral.