Main Menu

Upgrade to Electronic Ignition

Started by 72and86, October 20, 2021, 04:44:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

72and86

Upgrade to Electronic Ignition
I have recently purchased a 1970 real 'Cuda 383 that has a NOM 383 engine in it. So I decided to get rid of the points and upgrade to electronic ignition so I bought a Pertronix Points-to-Electronic Conversion Kit 71381A; Ignitor III.

Well my mechanic went to put in the Pertronix EI, when we opened the distributor we noticed it already had a unbranded electronic ignition module installed. My mechanic buddy told me it didnt make sense to replace it with the new Pertronix electronic ignition I just paid $150 for. He claims the new would be a PIA to install and I wouldn't gain anything. It hit us later the 383 NOM might be from an older car with E.I.

But we did install the Pertronix 44011 Flame-Thrower III 45,000 Volt 0.32 ohm COIL.

Car runs so nice.

Thoughts? Return the $150 Pertronix Conversion Kit Ignitor III? OR just keep what I have?

Bullitt-

FWIW I was researching PerTronix conversions recently & found many saying the Ignitor III is not compatible with factory tachometers...
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Chryco Psycho

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: 72and86 on October 20, 2021, 04:44:09 PM
It hit us later the 383 NOM might be from an older car with E.I.

So, is it the original numbers matching motor or is it from another car?   I'd be looking at the sequence number on the oil pan rail if I had any doubts.   date code and displacement do not make for "numbers matching"

If what you have is running well, then keep it.  I wouldn't go through the trouble of changing it now.   Keep the one you just bought for a spare on the shelf, or return it for your money back.

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on October 21, 2021, 04:28:50 AM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 20, 2021, 10:33:18 PM
Why change what is working well ?
:iagree:
If it ain't broke....
If it was working well, then why did he even think it might be points, and need the upgrade in the first place ? I wish I had a mechanic that would tell me "not to bother, it's a PITA" mine would just do it, and charge me accordingly  :haha: :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

erik70rt

I must be living under a log as I didn't even know those existed.  Interesting.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

HP2

Return it, if they let you. Many times electronic devices are  "no go" on returns, because of the risk of latent damage the buyer could have inadvertently introduced that the seller doesn't want to be responsible for in the future.

Inspect and verify prior to purchases would be a good philosophy in the future. If unsure of what you have, feel free to ask on here. There is plenty of knowledge here on stock and performance updates  that can help steer you straight.

72and86

72and86

Hes a friend. He doesn't charge me to do anything. We help each other out when we can.

Rich G.

I'd get rid of both and put in a factory electronic ignition in. Simple conversion and if you ever broke down you have a better chance of replacing the bad part the same day.

anlauto

Quote from: 72and86 on October 21, 2021, 07:25:24 AM
Hes a friend. He doesn't charge me to do anything. We help each other out when we can.

Those are the best kind  :grouphug: :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration