Main Menu

1967 B body Dana 60 into E body

Started by 1970Mopower, December 05, 2021, 08:31:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1970Mopower

Looking at the possibility of putting a 1967 B body Dana 60 under my 1970 Challenger. Would replace a highway geared no sure grip 8 3/4. Know nothing about the pitfalls/spring relocation needs or what options this could open up for tire / wheel combos. Any advice appreciated.

My other option is to put the Dana into a 1969 B body and take the 1969 8 3/4 3.91/sure grip from
the B body and put it under the Challenger. The Dana would then be used on the B body.

Thanks much!

Chryco Psycho

You can get the offset mounts from Cass @ Dr Diff in Montana to move the leaf springs inward , then the diff will bolt to the leaf springs .
As you can see from the chart the diamentions for B body are the same from 62 - 70  so do it the easiest way . this moves the spring out of the way so a wider tire will fit , how much wider depends on the size of rim used , on a 15 " rim there is a lot of sidewall bulge , with a 17 or 18 " there is a lot less sidewall bulge so a wider tire will fit up to 315 tread width or more

1971Y13

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 06, 2021, 06:46:01 PM
You can get the offset mounts from Cass @ Dr Diff in Montana to move the leaf springs inward , then the diff will bolt to the leaf springs .
As you can see from the chart the diamentions for B body are the same from 62 - 70  so do it the easiest way . this moves the spring out of the way so a wider tire will fit , how much wider depends on the size of rim used , on a 15 " rim there is a lot of sidewall bulge , with a 17 or 18 " there is a lot less sidewall bulge so a wider tire will fit up to 315 tread width or more

66-67 is 5/8" shorter than 68-70, also those 62-65 are shorter but I can't those numbers in my head.
1971 'Cuda
1968 GTX

HP2

I put a 66-67 housing in my E body. It is narrower than the 68-70 versions, but all that impacts is the backspace required on the new wheels. The spring pad location is identical and aligns well with the 1" spring relocation kit. I use 5" with the 66-67 housing. 5.5" would work best with the 68-70 housing.

For that matter, retaining the stock E body housing and moving the springs in 1" achieves the same results. But this method requires cutting and welding of the spring perches and again, changes the backspace on wheels compared to B body housings.