Main Menu

Hood Hinge going bad ?

Started by 440ehigh, June 24, 2022, 09:38:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

440ehigh

I'm trying to figure out if one of my hood hinges is starting to go bad. Or if it needs some sort of a adjustment. It's on the passenger side hinge I've recently started noticing metal shavings on the inner fender well and has been getting worse and can now see where it's rubbing on the hood hinge, because it's bare metal now. The hood open and closes fine and has good fitment.
I'll attach pictures showing where it's rubbing.

torredcuda

Definitely not right - maybe a worn or loose rivet or something bent causing the rubbing?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RestoRick

Some paint wear is normal, but you definitely shouldn't be seeing metal shavings.
Is there a gritty sound when you lift the hood? It could be sand or blasting media. I've seen that several times.

That kind of grinding can also happen when the teeth edges get curled up from excessive slop.

The telltale test for hinge tooth wear is to try to lift the rear edge of the hood when it's closed. It shouldn't move much, if at all.
With the hood part way open, lift it up and down while watching the teeth to see if there's any unusual movement.

Hope that helps!

anlauto

Hey thanks for chiming in Rick, always great to hear from someone who knows these things inside and out...
Cheers...Alan :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

440ehigh

I saw Ricks advice and had time to mess with the hood a little bit today. There's definitely no gritty sound and all the teeth look in pretty good shape. It's a shaker hood and currently do have air assembly off so I have easy access to watch the teeth and didn't see any weird movement. When closed and opened hood.

I did notice that the lower bolt closet to the fire wall was a little loose. I don't know if that being a little loose could cause this and I think most of the metal shavings I'm seeing are from the body of the hinge and not the teeth I circled the area I'm thinking it rubs the most in a new picture Im attaching and after looking at it more today I saw a small amount of metal dust by one of the rivets as well.

I tried lifting rear edge of hood up when closed and no movement. But when doing all this I noticed how much the rear of hood is being pushed up when I close it I don't know if that's normal and I noticed how much force it takes to get hood latched. It made  me start to wonder if it's not aligned as well as I thought.

cudamadd

Hi I had a problem just like yours but not quite as bad hood felt ok in operation . The hinges   looked in good shape ,there was no drop in the hood . But I am now have them off and having them rebuild. With closer inspection they are very lose at the rivets and indeed of work  :australia:

440ehigh

Ok I'm wondering if that's my issue as well. @cudamadd who did you find to rebuild them. I see your in Australia did you find someone local or did you have them shipped somewhere.

Scooter

I say don't chance it... get it replaced.

My hinge broke going up the highway... thank god I had hood pins.

Arm broke in location of red arrow below... dog eared the passenger side of the hood.

cudamadd

No I found some one local that's all they do .Looked at a new pair but would have been $ 600,00 Aussie dollars all up with tax  etc etc .