Main Menu

DLC mounting location and codes?

Started by Katfish, October 05, 2022, 06:01:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

2 part question, I'm close to first start on my swap.

1) where did you mount the DLC used to read engine codes?
2) what outputs are available on this port?  Curious if oil pressure and temperature are available time?
Don't think I'd trust my 70 gauges

Dmod1974

1.  Anywhere that you want.  Some people like to hide them; I chose to mount mine to the dash frame where a choke or vent cable would go since I'm not kidding anyone into thinking my car is a stock carbed 318, and I want it to be easy to access.

2.  This depends on the ECM and communication protocol that the reading device uses.  I don't know what you're swapping, or what you're reading with.  OBD2 will require certain parameters be available, everything else is up to the manufacturer.  There are also messages that are broadcast at set times no matter what, and others that must be "polled" by the reading device at set times to receive them.  What communication protocol the ECM uses will also impact how fast/often messages are received.  There are various CAN bus speeds as well as older OBD2 protocols used by the OEM's.

Katfish

Thx for the reply,
Do you have a pic of your mounting location?

More info,
I have the 2016 5.7 crate motor with the Mopar harness.
It sounds like the hand held scan tools just read/output "codes"
wondering if the codes for temp and oil pressure code be decoded?

Just short term, then I can calibrate the gauges

Dmod1974

No, but it's seriously nothing fancy; it's screwed to the dash frame under the radio dash trim. 

There's a lot more to it than that though regarding the "codes".  Everything is a message sent or requested via CAN or another OBD2 protocol.  Fault codes are just that; I think you are wanting to know if the oil pressure and oil temp signals are available.  They are, but both need to be polled from a device since they are not normally broadcast signals.