Main Menu

70 cuda gas cap

Started by bballfan1, November 25, 2022, 07:13:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

bballfan1

New 70 cuda gas cap. $75 shipped in US.

bballfan1

Mr Cuda

I know that pg classics  shows a reproduction gas cap that looks like that for 1970, but all the ones that came on my cars look like this.  What is correct?

anlauto

Quote from: Mr Cuda on December 05, 2022, 06:30:56 PM
I know that pg classics  shows a reproduction gas cap that looks like that for 1970, but all the ones that came on my cars look like this.  What is correct?

The cap in your above picture in NOT correct for any 1970-1974 E Body :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda_mark

Quote from: anlauto on December 05, 2022, 06:53:14 PM

The cap in your above picture in NOT correct for any 1970-1974 E Body :alan2cents:

Which one is correct? The first pic posted or the second one? I noticed the same thing when looking for a gas cap for my 70. The PG classics one was listed as the correct type but it seemed strange to me.

anlauto

The second picture, Mr. Cuda's picture is some sort of aftermarket replacement  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda_mark

Is the first picture correct then?

anlauto

Appearance wise YES, but there's several different factors on whether or not it will fit a 70 Cuda

Mr Cuda

Hey, I  know nothing.
Started buying my cudas in 1979.
Every car I bought had that style. (My picture)
I saved the "barracuda" gas cap off every car I parted out. So I have several extras, and not one stant style.
At the last pg classics sale I saw that other style being listed as correct,  then this ad for a nos for sale.
That's why I asked. 

fc7cuda

I have seen this one, too.

JEJJ

Actually neither cap is correct. The second one smooth one Mr. Cuda shows was never original to Cudas when new, but as he states, they were a popular aftermarket cap,my 71 Cuda had one on it when I bought the car years ago. :cheers:

The original 70 Cuda gas cap came with inverted or concave stamped lettering "VENTED" "ANTI SURGE".
Below are pictures, the black painted one is the original off my 70 Convertible, the second is a correct NOS one part number on the box 3404498 that I had.

Hope this helps  :cheers: