Main Menu

LCA pivot shaft

Started by Cbridgewater, November 25, 2022, 02:36:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cbridgewater

Re-assembling my front end and having issues with the new strut rods essentially causing the pivot pin to pull out of the LCA bushing. Any suggestions?

The strut rods are new 7/8" from Mancini Racing.

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cbridgewater

It's tightened to where the shoulder of the pivot pin is touching a k frame.

anlauto

I'm surprised at the width of the new Poly bushing and how far back the lower control arm now is compared to a factory rubber bushing :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cbridgewater

The passenger side sits just fine too.

Brads70

I wonder if the lower control arm has some excessive play in it?  Watch this to see what I'm refering to.

Cbridgewater

Checked the play prior to installing the stiffening plates, all was good.

RUNCHARGER

Usually the pivot is tight on the bushing. If there is no slop it will probably assemble okay in the car with the T-Bar pushing it forward. It sure doesn't look right there though.
Sheldon

Cbridgewater

Read about a guy having issues with the pivot and new poly bushings, came to the conclusion that the pivots were worn from being pressed in and out many times over 50 years and purchased new set, problem solved. I'll try that I guess.

Bullitt-

I had the same question/issue years ago only on the drivers side..1/8"-1/4" gap
Chryco Psycho   replied that this was normal...   

This picture was after assembly was complete

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Cbridgewater

It boggles my mind that the passenger side fits beautifully, and the drivers has the approximate 1/4" gap. I guess we will see what another set of new poly bushings and new pivot shafts do...

Bullitt-

This just occurred to me... I wonder if it's possible I put enough grease in the bushing that it hydraulically locked ,so to speak, the pin from bottoming out ..... Just an idea.
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

HP2

This is a know issue with poly bushings. Some have turned down the offending strut bushings to bring the control arm back to its correct position. Since one side fits well and the other doesn't I'd suspect the overall positioning of items on the K frame are a bit out of ideal. Check the strut mount on the offending side and see if its identical to the side that fits. Might need to be pushed out an equivalent amount of the control arm gap.  Pull some measurements to see.

Cbridgewater

I'll check those things out, thanks.