Main Menu

How does coparts work?

Started by jordan, November 25, 2022, 05:58:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jordan

I see a motorcycle on Coparts near me that I am interested in. Buy it now price is $8200. More than I want to pay. I looked at registering. Cost $99. Pre bid fee of $129. Member fee is approximately $775. $79 gate fee. $10 environmental fee. May be more. WTF?
   So, how does this work?  Am I supposed to low ball bid knowing that I am going to be fee'd about a grand?  This feels very shady and weird. Do they catch unsuspecting victims that over pay by way too much? 
   Let me know if you have experience and suggestions to work with this business. I don't want to over pay for a junkyard bike that I'm going to beat on a race track. Value still means something to me. I'm not independently wealthy. And I do want a good deal.
Thanks
"Don't brake until you see God!"

HP2

Don't you also have to have a tax ID or business license?

I don't think their deal was set up to sell to the average dude, but rather to businesses, yards, body shops, parts houses, etc.

JH27N0B

I haven't done it, but know that you don't need a business license to buy there.
There's lots of YouTube channels of guys who buy and flip cars from Coparts, IAA etc.
And like almost anything you want to learn about nowadays, tutorial videos that you can watch to learn about it.
Here's one for example

BIGSHCLUNK

I've been a COPART buyer for years. PM me with a phone number

jordan

I just put a deposit down with a broker in I'll. And I just now see Bigs message 🤬.  The best I can hope for now is that my low ball bid is good enough. And, if not, I get my deposit back.
  I am having a hard time understanding how this all works with such crazy fees. I'm only willing to spend what it's worth, so I am low balling in anticipation of the fees costing me to equal the perceived value of the bike.
  If it works, it works. If not, then so be it. At this point, the broker fee is only $50 if I don't get it.

@BIGSHCLUNK   I'll message you if things don't work out. You may have a better way of explaining the system. I may need to do a "do over" if it doesn't sell.

Thanks

jordan

Well, that didn't work. I worked with a broker to place a bid for me. Since I am not a member, I couldn't see any changes in the auction. It did say the item was sold and awaiting the seller to accept the price. My broker said they got a email saying I was the high bid and an email saying I was out bid. 🤷🏼‍♂️   Turns out I got nothing.
  I see another bike I want, but it is not open for bidding yet. It's for sale in Arkansas so I can bid with a membership. Sucks it is so far away, but may be worth it if I can get it cheap. I'll keep trying.