Main Menu

I have some questions about paint

Started by Flatdad, December 02, 2022, 07:00:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Flatdad

Are you guys experiencing any delays or shortages with paint products? I'm a long ways off on needing paint, but priming is going to be a reality soon and I want to plan ahead. I also want to make sure I pick a primer compatible with my paint choice.

What is your preferred company? I would specifically like to source a match for 1971 GB5.

How much does the primer affect the shade of the paint? IE, black primer vs light gray primer? What did the factory spray over, was it bare steel above the dip line? Looks like a chocolate milk color primer on the lower half.

moparroy

Some say primer and paint should be from same system or company. Others say does not matter.
I used PPG for first epoxy primer. Not sure what primer my painter used but the base is Sikkens and the clear is whatever his shop uses ie don't know.
My choice of ppg  was due to a connection not brand.
Don't know factory primer. Come back 'Cuda was grey i recall.
I chose grey primer for the areas i painted. A light primer under a dark paint to make sure i had good base coverage. I'm a novice painter.
My painter did the opposite outside. Black primer. For him black is more forgiving under dark paint in case there are any thin spots. Lol. But he has the experience to minimize or eliminate thin spots which i don't have.

tparker

I am not a paint guy so.....

I think there are some cases where color of primer matters. I used yellow and the supplier recommend a white primer. They said back in the day colors like yellow use lead which made it opaque so the primer color was less of an issue. Today of course we don't have the lead and Yellow paint is a bit transparent so the color does matter. I suspect this is true of other pigments too.

As for primer, I think it probably doesn't matter as much as it is often claimed. I am guessing that manufactures ensure their paint works with their primer and there is no question. But another company may possibly use something in their primer that may not be compatible. So it would be better just to stick with the same. It would suck to spray a car then find out they don't work together. I think a paint people probably know what paint works with what primers.

ZippyZoo

My body/paint guy uses PPG through FinishMaster.
There were a few products that were delayed but they came through in a day, or two at the most.

BUT THE PRICING IS THROUGH THE ROOF!!    :takemymoney:

Prepare to spend more on paint, reducer, hardener, etc. than you originally planned.

torredcuda

Brand depends on how much you want to spend, I have used PPG for 30 years but it is getting so expensive I may look at other options such as SPI for epoxy primer and Tamco for base and clear. If you have a good paint supply local that is always good, I have been dealing with the same store for 30 years and know the paint guy and he`s very knowledgable and helpful. I have always heard primer color affects final color but I have yet to see it proven, paint is NOT transparent unless you don`t put enough coats on or it is a translucent, pearl, candie 3 stage etc.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Bills Auto Works

These days I use nothing but TAMCO or ORION (which is owned by Tammy previously of Tamco)!!!!

The quality of their paint, primers & clears are noticeably higher that the big 3 at a much better price!

TAMCO numbers to use :

Epoxy 660 series which is DTA

High build primer 5310 (comes in 3 different colors, super high build with no shrinkage, lays out smooth as glass & blocks like butter)

I prefer their high solids clear 2104 which has a much higher solids percentage than any of the big 3! However if you are used to a production clear that is a bit easier to work with they have a quality version of that as well.

I just haven't memorized the Orion part numbers yet or I would have shared them as well!

Both companies can do mix to match factory numbers & their paint covers very well with 2-3 coats.

Disclaimer....I don't work for either, but have painted a handful of completes using their products & love them both! Also you will never get better customers service! With Tamco, if you need help you generally talk to one of the family members & with Orion, I have Tammy's personal cell number!

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/
YOUR QUALITY MOPAR TRANSPORTER SINCE 1983!

Blowout

I've used PPG on projects for years but here in California I can't get what I used to anymore. I was a big fan of DP40 primer.  However, I now get my epoxy primer from SPI and I love it.  Easy to order and here in a few days. Sprays well and there are a few color choices. I tend to use a color that's close to my finish color for rock chips etc.  Their epoxy primer can be used for final finish too. So I've used it on many brackets, engine paint, etc. 

Usually paint companies say you need to start and finish with their paint for warranty reasons and to ensure there stuff lasts. But I think if you prep and do everything the right way, you should be able to mix and match if needed.

torredcuda

Quote from: Bills Auto Works on December 02, 2022, 10:44:32 AM
  These days I use nothing but TAMCO or ORION (which is owned by Tammy previously of Tamco)!!!!

The quality of their paint, primers & clears are noticeably higher that the big 3 at a much better price!

TAMCO numbers to use :

Epoxy 660 series which is DTA

High build primer 5310 (comes in 3 different colors, super high build with no shrinkage, lays out smooth as glass & blocks like butter)

I prefer their high solids clear 2104 which has a much higher solids percentage than any of the big 3! However if you are used to a production clear that is a bit easier to work with they have a quality version of that as well.

I just haven't memorized the Orion part numbers yet or I would have shared them as well!

Both companies can do mix to match factory numbers & their paint covers very well with 2-3 coats.

Disclaimer....I don't work for either, but have painted a handful of completes using their products & love them both! Also you will never get better customers service! With Tamco, if you need help you generally talk to one of the family members & with Orion, I have Tammy's personal cell number!

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

I bought some Tamco primer when Tammy was still there but haven`t tried it yet, now that she is with Orion I am on the fence which company to go with. I hear a lot of good things about SPI epoxy and clear but they don`t mix any factory colors for the base.

JS29

Don't use lacquer primer with base coat clear coat products.  :stop:

torredcuda

Quote from: JS29 on December 02, 2022, 03:26:13 PM
Don't use lacquer primer with base coat clear coat products.  :stop:

Even if I could find it I wouldn`t use laquer primer on a Tonka toy! Epoxy primer on bare metal is the standard nowadays, most do filler work over the primer, then high build primer for block sanding.

Bills Auto Works

Quote from: torredcuda on December 02, 2022, 01:37:55 PM

I bought some Tamco primer when Tammy was still there but haven`t tried it yet, now that she is with Orion I am on the fence which company to go with. I hear a lot of good things about SPI epoxy and clear but they don`t mix any factory colors for the base.

I cannot speak too much about the differences between the two lines of products as I have NOT purchased much of the Orion line yet. Only because over the previous 2 years I bought around $2k each year worth of product from Tamco during their big holiday sale. This means i still have a ton of 5300 Series Primer & 2104 high solids clear! I can say Orion's Basecoat sprayed really well & covered quickly . The other thing is....Tamco could not find a formula for my 55 Nash color & Tammy at Orion was able to. The color match was spot on.

If you are on Facebook & have not joined the Tamco & Orion paint groups....You should! Tons on great information & testimonials as well as questions answered by lots of the guys who are even more into it than I am. Almost every time I am in one of these groups I learn something (even after painting since about 1983! ;)

I don't think you will go wrong with either & I am personally torn, because everyone I have ever dealt with at both have been great. I explained to Tammy about needing to use up what I have already, but that  I will probably transition over to her complete line at some point in the future as I consider her a friend as well.

God Bless
Bill

torredcuda

Quote from: Bills Auto Works on December 03, 2022, 06:02:19 AM
Quote from: torredcuda on December 02, 2022, 01:37:55 PM

I am on both FB groups and friends with Tammy, when I get closer to primer I`ll check into Orion a little closer. I`ve heard a lot of people are very impressed with Tammy`s color matching, I`m painting my road runner the original FC7 and want a "correct" match so I bet she can do it.

I cannot speak too much about the differences between the two lines of products as I have NOT purchased much of the Orion line yet. Only because over the previous 2 years I bought around $2k each year worth of product from Tamco during their big holiday sale. This means i still have a ton of 5300 Series Primer & 2104 high solids clear! I can say Orion's Basecoat sprayed really well & covered quickly . The other thing is....Tamco could not find a formula for my 55 Nash color & Tammy at Orion was able to. The color match was spot on.

If you are on Facebook & have not joined the Tamco & Orion paint groups....You should! Tons on great information & testimonials as well as questions answered by lots of the guys who are even more into it than I am. Almost every time I am in one of these groups I learn something (even after painting since about 1983! ;)

I don't think you will go wrong with either & I am personally torn, because everyone I have ever dealt with at both have been great. I explained to Tammy about needing to use up what I have already, but that  I will probably transition over to her complete line at some point in the future as I consider her a friend as well.

God Bless
Bill

moparroy

Second that point about lacquer primer - run away!
Yes the VOC requirements have really restricted some historic PPG products here in Canada too. I think that is why the PPG OMNI is the only line of solvent paint we can get and the best shops around here all use water bourne base  - mine is done in water bourne Sikkens though I used OMNI solvent based for the interior and underside I did myself. Water takes some skill and really need a good booth too as its dry time is hours not minutes

Bills Auto Works

@torredcuda  I am sorry I somehow screwed up my post! LOL

The quoting thing sometimes causes me to screw up! However I see that your figured it out! :haha:

YES! When it comes time...call or message Tammy, I promise you will not be disappointed!!! She will do what ever it takes to satisfy you!!!

@moparroy I believe both Tamco & Orion either ship to Canada or have distributors in Canada! Don't settle for water base crap when the good stuff may be available! Omni like Dupont's Nason is "bottom of the barrel" Garbage...I used Nason for several cheap jobs where the customer did not want to spend any money!

God Bless
Bill

moparroy

Actually the water base with 3 coats of clear looks awesome. Water base is where all the big business is now with OEMs all mandated to water base so that is where all the investment for top products is going. I had several top shops in this area tell me they would only use water base as that is what they are used to every day now - they would not consider any solvent stuff. Whereas a couple lower end shops I talked to still use solvent but would not use Omni.