Main Menu

PolyGlas Tires

Started by anlauto, February 01, 2023, 06:59:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

So I ordered a set of PolyGlas tires, G's & E's back on Nov 9th 2022 from Summit racing, of course they dinged my VISA a tad over $2000 USD back then.....Well of course the ship date keeps getting bumped....It was supposed to be March 3rd for the longest time, but today the G's got bumped to Sept 22nd.... :crazytalk: :crazytalk:

I guess you guys in the States have a rubber shortage or something ? Maybe sending all your tires to the Ukraine or something ?

Like what's up ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

I'm not aware of any members here in the rubber industry?
I had no issues getting some daily driver tires and trailer tires last year, though the trailer tires have got pretty pricey.
I've bought my Polyglas tires from Rusty Smalls of Rusted Tires in the past, last time being 2020. You might track him down and ask him for the inside scoop on what's going on in the repro tire business rather than ask here where you'll probably just get speculation or anecdotal stories.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

I was just trying to be facetious.....The "back orders" on parts these days  is getting outrageous, what possible reason could there be that pre-pandemic there was no issues, now POST pandemic, tire prices gone up more then 50% and there's a 10 month waiting period....like seriously ? WTH is going on...

I have an account with Kelsey Tire directly, that's why I never used Rusty, but I switched to Summit years ago, because their shipping rates to Canada are way cheaper then Kelsey's even with the discount I was getting...I've bought 100 PolyGlas Tires so far, give or take   
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JH27N0B

Eggs are $5 right now, a year ago I could get them on sale regularly for $1.29.
During a cold snap at Christmastime my bedroom back windows were getting frosted up during a cold snap, and after opening a window to scrape frost off the storm window, I closed the window and a crack formed in the pane.
Those were the last windows I haven't replaced over the years, so I decided past time to do those.
I called a guy I've used for years for doors and windows for an estimate.  $5300 for 3 double wide windows!
I bet 2 or 3 years ago the bill probably wouldn't have been half that. My bad for not getting them replaced years ago, at least I got all the others done when it was cheap!
The pandemic was terrible but the policies shutting down everything were just as damaging and the effects more long lasting.  We are entering a period of stagflation now, prices will be rising for years to come thanks mostly to a lot of bad Covid policies by governments worldwide in 2020 and 2021, and now we will be paying the bills for it for years to come.
So quitcherbitchen and deal with it. No one likes it, but as I recall those of us who tried to warn about bad policies a couple years ago were either ignored or worse, attacked. For that reason, I have difficulty feeling too sympathetic for most of those now complaining.

captcolour

@anlauto I've got you beat!  I ordered a set of the Kelsey's from Speedway Motors on January 16, 2022.  Initial ship date was April 2022.  Keeps getting pushed.  Latest ship date is June 2023.  Bad news is they have had my money this whole time.  Good news is I bought at Jan 2022 prices.

anlauto

I get the prices being crazy, because of the pandemic, I paid $7.19 for a pound of butter yesterday, but these long lead times make no sense. we're talking about tires manufactured in the USA not Taiwan...

69BFan

I believe that most of the Goodyear reproduction tires are manufactured in South America.  So many of those areas are still behind in getting back up to full production.  Then you have to factor in that most of these manufacturing plants are producing a wide assortment of product.  And I would guestimate that the reproduction tires is a very small percentage of the overall production window.  Thus we have the issue of demand outweighs the supply availability and the inflated pricing.  If they are selling 100 production tires for the everyday car and one Polyglass tire for our needs, you can see what they will be concentrating on.

We see it every day in the parts that we manufacture.  Almost all of the manufacturers that we deal with are basically using this portion of the marketplace as filler work.  When they have cut back on staffing and such and they are having problems getting workers and materials, the domino effect just grows.   As much as I would like to see things improve, I do not see it happening.  Specialty items with limited demand will be the first to go and the pricing will reflect the desires of those willing to step up and pay the crazy prices.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

anlauto

I thought Kelsey Tires manufactured the tires in the USA ? Guess I've learned something new today :worship:

6bblgt

the Goodyear reproductions are made in the USA at the only operating belted tire plant "CY" - McCREARY Tire in Indiana, Pennsylvania  (Firestone & Pro-Trac too)

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on February 02, 2023, 01:12:09 PM
the Goodyear reproductions are made in the USA at the only operating belted tire plant "CY" - McCREARY Tire in Indiana, Pennsylvania  (Firestone & Pro-Trac too)

Thank you, that's what I thought

MoparLeo

There's the problem. It's Biden's home state. :barf:
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: MoparLeo on February 02, 2023, 02:42:09 PM
There's the problem. It's Biden's home state. :barf:

I thought he was from Delaware but you cannot ask him.
:rofl:

mccannix

I could be wrong but I thought his home state was Pa.

He moved to Deleware in the 50's where his Corvette with "documents" to prove it,  is sitting on Ployglas tires in the garage.

But he works out of Washington

JH27N0B

He's always telling tall tales about growing up in Scranton, standing down Corn Pop and kids fascinated by his hairy legs while he was a lifeguard at the pool and so on.