Main Menu

What's your plans for the "Great American Eclipse" Aug 21st?

Started by Cuda Cody, July 29, 2017, 12:47:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Anyone live in the path?  Is anyone travelling to see it?

1 Wild R/T

I would have to come visit you.....  And unfortunately work has me in southern Ca that day...

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/statistics/

14 hrs away for me

I was in Lake Jackson Texas for the  May 30, 1984 solar eclipse and had about 92% obscuration

bentpshrods

From here in Boise, Id. the path of totality is only about 40=50 miles north of us. Have to work so I won't be directly under that area, but close enough.  Already got my glasses.  The surrounding small towns around us like Weiser, and others are really gearing up for a huge influx of people.  One of the concerns is a shortage of porta=potties to handle all the people. The local companies that supply them are scrambling to come up with enough, going out of state trying to get more.  Will be something to see tho. 

I was about 153 miles from totality in 1984, it was interesting, was like an early darkish twilght with birds quiet and a sharpness to what you were looking at , like putting your glasses on if you have bad vision.

Aar1064

I live in the area of totality. About 20 miles from the very center. According to the experts, we will have totality for about 2:30 minutes. I'm hearing major influx of people coming to this area from all over the country and abroad so it should be interesting.

Pretty wild stuff.

Topcat

Hearing overcast fog/sky here. Probably won't see it.
Maybe 60-70% eclipse here in the bay area.

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

About 2:45 pm for,us at about 90%.  Digging out the welding helmet for this one. One for the wife too.   8)

Cuda Cody

On the local news I'm hearing that the towns just a few hours away are already having traffic jams as people make their way to see it.

Marc70challenger

GoodysGotaCuda

I'll check it out at work, my glasses are ready to go.  :popcorn:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

303 Mopar

Here in Denver we will have about 92% coverage which is good enough for me.  The peak is at 11:41am local time.  Most of the schools around here are conducting science studies around it giving the kids glasses and arranging their schedules so they can go outside to see it. I imagine some boneheads will try to look at the sun directly.   :rubeyes:

Aar1064

The area I'm in will have 100% totality so we're pretty excited. People are coming in from everywhere to witness this and I live in a small rural county so I'm not sure what to expect. Trying to figure out how to video this. Was thinking of putting video camera inside of a welding helmet. lol

Hope it doesn't rain........... :stop: :stop:

Oldschool

No need for me to go anywhere. 97% coverage right here at work......

kent_goins

As said above in another post...92%-94% of totality here in Denver. This will be a big one due to its path being in a populated country and easy to access. I have a friend living in just above in Wyoming which is going to be one of the heaviest hit states due to clear skies and good weather. She has a ranch in the path of 100% totality and has been prepping for the massive influx of people for two weeks. She has been booking her land for a week with a few spots left for last minute passerbys at $50 to $100 per head. She tried to get port-a-pottys for her site of 200 vehicles but they are all sold out in the surrounding states!!! She called Colorado and zero port-a-pottys available. Unbelievable. Additionally, all highways in the region of totality in Wyoming will be on severe lockdown with limited access and Wyoming State Patrol issuing tickets to anyone stopping on the highway. If you have not picked your spot to view the event along the path of totality...it is probably too late.

I imagine Tuesday morning will have some very interesting news headlines.

KG