Main Menu

brake light switch

Started by Challenger32, May 19, 2024, 11:08:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Challenger32

When i push the brakes the brakelights blow the  fuse any body had this trouble ? what could it be ?   Thanks

MoparCarGuy

Sounds like an improperly sized fuse (hey, it happens) or a direct short to ground on the power side wiring or at least one brake light bulb.

Start at the brake pedal switch and visually look for any problem with 12V power to ground. Inspect the wiring from the switch to the left side kick panel, too. If good, proceed with checking the rear of the car. Bulbs alone can short to ground so you may just want to install new bulbs and see if the problem is fixed. If not, continue below.

Open the trunk and pull out the brake light bulb sockets. Pull each 1157 brake bulb out of the socket.
Inspect the socket and bulbs for anything out of sorts. If you have a multimeter, check each of the two socket pins to ground. They should not be grounded (~zero ohms).
Try the brake pedal again with no bulbs to see if the fuse survives. If so, then it is a bulb socket or installed bulb problem.
If the fuse blows, your problem is with the wiring. Inspect visually for any issue that may have sent 12V power to ground.
Pinched or exposed wiring along the wiring path is about all that is left to cause this problem.
You may have to pull the door sill plate and check the hidden portion of the wiring going to the rear of the car. The wiring passes behind the rear seat door panel as well. No fun to pull all of this out but may be necessary.

Let us know what you find.

Challenger32

Thank You I will try your sugg
estions

Chryco Psycho

Power flows to the switch from the fuse block up through the steering column & turn switch back down to the plug at the kick panel & out to the trunk start testing with an ohm meter for ground with the circuit disconnected from power disconnect sections until the ground goes away , remove the brake lights also as you will have a resistance reading through them .

Challenger32

Thank you I will start on it tonight

Rich G.

You can also unplug the rear harness at the kick panel to bypass that section. If it doesn't blow the fuse then you know the problem is in that section.

Challenger32

the signal plug is burnt do I need to get a whole signal harness or can I just get a new plug ?

71GranCoupe

If you can get a picture that would assist in giving you a better recommendation.