Main Menu

new shop in the near future

Started by dougdel, November 24, 2017, 06:36:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dougdel

so my wife wants the attached garage back for her car so she doesn't have to scrape the frost and ice off of it in the winter and she made the suggestion of building another spot for the cuda and all my tools and equipment.  I took this serious and ran with it, looked at packages from h.d, 84 lumber,  stick building something from scratch, and pre fab packages. I decided on an open span steel building.  sent requests to numerous manufacturers, then played the game of "heres their price and you beat it"  got what I feel like is a very good deal for the size I wanted.  Checked with the local planning and zoning,  they are good with it which is no easy task.  Signed the contract on Wednesday.  they will provide me signed and stamped engineer drawings for my permits within a few weeks and once I have them I can design the foundation, and beging the permitting process.  Now I'm hoping the winter is mild and I can get this in and have the building delivered by the end of February and hopefully hav it fully erected by mid march.  merry Christmas to me for the rest of my life.  and if anyone is considering a new garage,  the price of this package, minus the slab and foundation, I cant stick build one for the cost

rhamson

Good for you my friend. I live in Stevensville, MD and built a steel building years ago. The price including slab and building was way better than I thought. I run my business out of it and it is heated and air conditioned. I also have a great place to work on my car which I am restoring. Anne Arundel is a tough place with permits and zoning but once through that it should be smooth sailing for you. :banana:

1 Wild R/T

You've already chosen your package so it's probably to late but one thing I found is a single slope roof rather than a double pitched roof cuts cost even further & for my application it may be the best choice....  Back of the building at 10' front of the building 16'...  Building will be 30' deep..... The property I'm looking at has a semi busy road behind the shop location, my thinking/hoping is the roof should tend to deflect sound upward...  I also plan to plant a double row of Sequoias between the shop & the road, give them  five years & they will block some noise too....

Whatever the case Merry Christmas..... :cheers:

Brads70

Nice!  :banana:   Post lots of pictures as you go. I'm in the planning stages of the possibility of a shop in the back yard too.

Cuda Cody

That's great!  I'm happy for you.  Please share some photos when you get started.  Having a little extra shop space is a huge deal for a car guy.   :popcorn:

Chryco Psycho

Awesome , Always great to have a dedicated place for the toys !

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

69bronzeT5

Awesome! Congrats! I can't wait to build a shop for all of my crap  :rofl:

Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

dougdel

Going with a 3/12 pitch roof and the eave height is 12' and that's high enough for a lift
Ill be looking at those soon. 2 post or 4   Thinking maybe a 4 that is able to move around for when I'm doing wood working but I don't know
Once I get the anchor bolt plans from the manufacturer I can start designing the foundation. Early thoughts on that is continuous footer with stem wall haunched slab with hairpins on each bolt location. Building only weighs 5300 lbs so there's a concern of uplift from sudden wind gusts. Anyone here a structural engineer?  Could use a little guidance on the design
I shopped this thing out. Got bids from 8 different manufacturers then played the game of sending low bids to high bids back and forth numerous times until I got the price I was looking for

dougdel

Brad,  what size do you think you want?  You can get  a 24x24x12 for around 10k U S D 20x24 for 8600 they even offered me a 20x40 for 11200 which would have been great except local zoning wouldn't allow it. They'll give me a $500 referral fee for a sale.

Chryco Psycho

That is a no brainer 20x40 for only $1200 extra !!

340challconvert

Your garage/shop plans sound great.
I am in a similar situation; two car attached garage with the Challenger vert apart in one of the garages
Have a 1/2 acre property in a suburban area with tight zoning laws.
Wife would love to have a garage for her car (other garage filled with house storage, shop tools and Challenger parts.
Sounds like the metal garage could be the most economical answer.
Good luck with your shop build, I am envious!
:drooling:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Bills Auto Works

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 25, 2017, 05:55:41 AM
That is a no brainer 20x40 for only $1200 extra !!

Yes, go as big as you can afford & then add a few more feet!! If you don't you will be kicking yourself down the road. Besides there is NO such thing as "too big" of a building. You can always but more toys to fill it!

Good Luck & God Bless
Bill
YOUR QUALITY MOPAR TRANSPORTER SINCE 1983!

1 Wild R/T

Are you getting doors & windows as part of your package?  Some deals include them & some have you source them locally...  I'm guessing you need to source them locally since apparently you didn't even get the foundation plans which are typically included....   All the companies I've spoken with include engineered structure and foundation drawings by a certified engineer. (stamped for permit)

Concrete slab minimum thickness for a lift anchor bolts is 5" , 6" would even be better.
Your frost line up north could be deep , have done 42" in NJ , NY , Mass areas when working up there.
Hairpins at the bolts is standard detail.
We recently completed an 18,000 sf metal building and I can share some details that may help.

Your frost line for depth of footer will vary from ours here in Houston Texas .