Main Menu

340 block

Started by xx88man, March 19, 2018, 09:50:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

How much would a good standard bore 340 block be worth if I can find one?
Keep yer foot in it

Topcat

Shortblock:

Caps, Crank, rotating, and all outer pieces like mounts and filter adaptor: $400 to $600.

Heads, intake, air filter, distributor, to oil pan complete: $1000 to $2,000 depending on year and condition.
1970 set up is worth the most.

But that's just my  :alan2cents: 

7212Mopar

Best of luck finding a good standard bore 340 block. People on Ebay are asking over $1k for 30 over block.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Cuda Cody

I think I have a 1970 340 engine on my shelve.  If I recall it's complete, but missing the carb.  If you're down in the Brush Prairie, WA are you are welcome to stop by and look at it.  I don't think it's ever been apart so should be stock bore.

Katfish

Is there any way to determine if a block has been bored when not apart?
What's a complete running engine worth?

xx88man

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 19, 2018, 11:42:07 PM
I think I have a 1970 340 engine on my shelve.  If I recall it's complete, but missing the carb.  If you're down in the Brush Prairie, WA are you are welcome to stop by and look at it.  I don't think it's ever been apart so should be stock bore.

Thanks Cody. I'll send you a PM
Keep yer foot in it

340challconvert

Quote from: Katfish on March 20, 2018, 03:28:14 AM
Is there any way to determine if a block has been bored when not apart?
What's a complete running engine worth?

They do have these fiber optic scopes that some mechanics and others use.
Pull a plug and send the stalk into the cylinder bores. If original there probably is some ridge.
If the bores were bored out, there would be no or very little top ridge.
the only way to tell is to pull the head and measure the bore size.

One company that sells them:
https://www.toolexperts.com/videoscope-inspection-camera-usb-borescope-dcs050.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=DCS05009&msclkid=e216097659e016fb49d753c710359e25&utm_campaign=CPCS%20Shopping%20%5Bnb%5D%20%7C%20Desktop&utm_content=All%20Products

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

cuda hunter

I see the occasional 340 on CL for 1500.   Seems to be the going price for a 340.

Last one I purchased was a 72 block .20 over for 900 bucks about ten years ago.  runs and dirty
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Chryco Psycho

You might be able to use a scope through the spark plug hole , over bore pistons are always stamped with the overbore size

MikeMikeMike

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 25, 2018, 09:00:45 PM
You might be able to use a scope through the spark plug hole , over bore pistons are always stamped with the overbore size

:iagree:

I have bought 6 340's and the best thing I can pass on to you is that its a balance between risk versus cost. The more you can find out to lower your risk that the block isn't bad, the higher you should be willing to pay IMO. You can lower your risk by either checking the engine more thoroughly, or by buying from a trusted source. More recently, I've tended to gravitate to local deals in the 4-600$ range. $350 bought me a 70 block with thrown rod and a forged crank (high risk that everything is bad), and I've also bought a 72 carb to pan with a stuck piston for $500 (lower risk, but took a month to free the piston). Both were standard bore. 
'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II

HP_Cuda

Great idea Neil, forgot about the stamping.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Fastmark

I had several 340 blocks so I advertised to sell ONE in the local classified several years ago. I think I got 1000 for the std bore,std crank short block. It was a nice piece. Then I had a friend who mentioned that he wanted one so I sold him one for the same. It was std. as well. I laided low for awhile until a friend asked me about one for his bookkeeper for his auto stores. I sold her a std bore 340 short block that needed a sleeve for $600. Well, this time TWO FREINDS found out about me selling blocks! I ended up selling a really nice std short block with some perfect X heads for $1400 and a .030 block and .010/.020 crank with rods for 900. Now I guarantee my motors and that gets me more money from them. So. I think blocks bring better money down here in Texas because we have more rust free bodies left to put them in. I’ll spend the funds on parts I need to finish my cars,but I’m not telling anyone I have two more blocks! Oops