Main Menu

1970 R/T Challenger factory Red now Hemi 4speed

Started by Lloyd Lind, March 24, 2018, 03:48:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Lloyd Lind

1970 Challenger R/t , one of about 9,000 made and an original factory red car with black interior, black vinyl top, and factory white r/t stripes, I added rear louvers, wing, and hood decal and changed the r/t stripes to black, have a partial build sheet that shows this, it was a 383 with an automatic ,but someone at the factory welded in front hemi torque boxes so it was partially ready for my transformation.

ENGINE and drive train.  It now has  a steel world block Hemi ( the very best hemi block made and now obsolete)  with modern steel mopar heads with hardened seats to run pump gas and a Hemi four-speed with a full 11 inch center force clutch and an original B Body Dana sixty with 3.54 gears. With the extra one inch on each side from the B Body rear and the relocated super stock springs there is plenty of room for the monster 295/15/50 rear Tires. The engine is custom built with a Keith black gear drive and all roller components, roller cam, roller rockers, and solid roller lifters and is a non-stroker 426 engine with H beam rods and forged lightweight pistons-and file fit rings. The exhaust is Hemi manifolds with a TTI three inch exhaust. Two six fifty thunder series carbs modified down to 550 each and a Methanol/ Water system permits using pump gas and still have 116 octane equivalent fuel on demand. ( See the picture of the methanol tank in the trunk and the O2 gauge under the dash to monitor the air-fuel ratio .28 cents a gallon to get race gas!!!). It also has a Griffen Mopar look radiator with custom shroud and twin fans and controller, a thousand dollar option.

The steering has a Borgeson steering box, another thousand dollar upgrade, tubular-upper control arms and custom adjustable strut bars, street handling torsion bars and huge front and rear sway bars front and back. Handles great for a nose heavy Hemi car and almost feels like a rack and pinion steering car. It stops great with a reproduction Hemi power brake booster and front disk brakes and 11 inch rear drum brakes. The bottom of the car is all original undercoat with all new gas, brake and e-brake lines.

BODY and trim The entire car is all original panels with small repairs on the quarters, the doors and fenders have never been rusty or repaired.  ( one fender and front valance is N.O.S. Replacements from many years ago) The trunk floor is original with repairs. The paint is fresh and the grille is restored and bumpers areer3 re-chromed, most all of the trim is new including the tail light trim.

INTERIOR  The interior has original door panels and they are very nice, rear seat covers and the nicest ORIGINAL dash pad you have ever seen, probably a three thousand dollar pad if you could even find one like it, the grain on reproductions just do not look like this pad, it's awesome to look out the  windshield over this amazing dash, new carpet, headliner and front seat covers make up the rest of the original interior. The seat belts are original and perfect. The gauges work perfectly with a rebuilt tack that reads correctly with modern electronics and an aftermarket volt gauge since the dash harness has been bypassed so that most of the voltage goes to the battery. It has a second fuse panel on the passenger side for the extra accessories to protect from an electrical fire, something very common on these old cars. The sound system is very good with an amp in the trunk behind the collapsible spare and four speakers, the head unit works with a phone and blue tooth for music. Not an original Air conditioned car just like all real Hemi cars but yes it has air conditioning as well, vintage air, and heat, both work great.

OVERALL This car is NOT just a bunch of reproduction body parts welded on to a rust bucket it's more along the lines of a survivor (though it looks totally restored) that has been babied for fourth nine years and I have an appraisal to support the value of the car for insurance or this sale at an honest 73k. I have owned the car two years and been to one big show, I came away with a best in class trophy.

I have built several Hemi cars, a  572, 528, 512, 472 stroker engines and a couple of 426 non-stroker motors
so I knew how I wanted this motor, stroker motors are the rage but this is the way I like my Hemi              and it's very quick quick and yet street able with a moderate idle and a stock depth oil pan with eight quarts of oil
Since it's NOT a stroker motor it holds that much oil, plus an easy to drive 11 Miles to the gallon.

THE CAR  It only has a few hundred miles on it since I finished building the car so you are benefiting from
my labor, you would have a hard time building this car for less than what I'm selling it for, so do
the math (this car is just made out of money and rare parts, you can't build a car like this without both
  both ).....let alone find one this well preserved to start with to build this nice. Originally 287
Hemi challengers Were built by Dodge 49 years ago, this one is better and you can drive it
Without fear of losing an original car to a kid texting in a Sentra or fear of waiting for a rollback
To pick you and the car up after a break down of fifty-year-old technology. You can have fun and
Enjoy this car for 79,500.00 o.b.o.

FYI, ex 318, automatic cars with 8 3/4 rear and a crate motor dropped in are nothing like this car.
Offers sight unseen will be ignored as will be all the dealer's lowball offers. I have sold my hemi
And six pack cars all over the world without help so save your calls please. Real buyers welcome.

Thank you Lloyd 919-971-515 eight
I have pictures of the day I bought this car until today.
The  Car only leaves when funds clear my bank or are wired.

Cuda Cody

Lloyd Lind

Thanks Cody, it's definitely got all the boxes checked and I'm going to be sorry to see it go.

scf100

1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

Lloyd Lind

Lloyd Lind

This  car is still for sale, it's been a busy summer and between out of town trips, lots of rain and a couple of mechanical problems I just have not found a buyer. In fact I have not shown the car even once. Anyway they don't come much better with a custom built Hemi and a virtual survivor car put together. Lots of interest on the car but getting together with buyers to see it has been impossible for either them or me.

nsmall

While its still summer, how about carsonline.com and ebay?  @Lloyd Lind great looking clean challenger.  Good luck with the sale.

Lloyd Lind

I have had good results with eBay and most of the serious interest has been from there so I'm going to get my ad back up today, the dealers and flippers all want the car for 60-65k and the serous buyers have all been to busy to come see it. Cars on line I have never tried but I imagine it's like Auto trader and that site never seems to pay off. I may try and add Hemmings to my offering since it on line and in print. I know it will sell though, I just need a real buyer to come look at the car in person or send a expert to inspect it. Thanks for the input though.

Lloyd