Main Menu

Looking for garage parking ideas.

Started by nsmall, July 22, 2018, 11:10:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

So my "dream car" is all done, and Im pretty uncomfortable with how its parked in the garage.

Problem is I have a van (wife, 1, 2, 8 year old) that daily uses the space next to my car.  I cant evict them as the temp is 100+ Fahrenheit every day in the summer and I'm too sweet to have the wife park in the heat.

So I have pulled the car more forward and that helps.

I was considering dolly's for the back wheels and pushing the car over as the rear end is really the problem.  The Cuda has a big booty.

I'll try to eliminate the three white cabinets this week.

Moving is not an option (we have been looking recently) as it would cost us 200k to move to a home with more garage space.

So any suggestions are welcome.  I can only imagine some of you "smart guys" teasing me, but this is a real issue and I need to come up with something.  The car is only used once a week.

Thanks.

nsmall

I can take more pics, but here's my situation....

And yes, one day I'll clean up the mess

nsmall

Theres 3 feet in the front, 2 feet in the rear, and 3.5 feet of space to the wall to play with.

Main issue is backing up and not scraping against the side of the garage door frame.

Thanks in advance.

If I use dollys for the rear, would I be able to side the rear over with the front tires on the ground?  That was a real question.  I'm thinking not.

Cuda Cody

Dollies will work to move it over, but they can be a hassle and might make it so you don't want to take the time to take the car out to drive when you know how much work it is to get it out and put it away.

1 Wild R/T

GoodysGotaCuda

I always back in if I have to park it tight. I can look down the entire side of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Daveh

Here's what I did in my old garage and worked perfectly and was cheap.  Now since I moved I no longer need it and I have no pictures so just try and picture this. 

I had an old wall shelf (1"X8") maybe 8 feet that I cut into 4 pieces. I just used what I had laying around.  You can improvise.  This will be your stable base. Stagger them on the floor but don't go beyond the inside of the tires.  Then take (2) 2X4X8's and lay them on the floor long way about 1" apart.  Now screw the shelf pieces to the 2X4's vertically.  Now head to your local box hardware store and buy a 4x8 piece of Styrofoam you know for insulation.  I got a piece with film on it so when it got dinged it wouldn't begin to fall apart.  Now turn over the wood and take the sheet and stick it between the 2X4's and slide it up against the car and your done.  You may have to adjust the 2X4's to make it tight but again no big deal.  It should slide up close to the car as much as you want it. 

I used this for 10 years and never had to replace the Styrofoam.  It had it's share of dings in it but kept the car safe and cost me less that $15.00.  Simple I only hope you can picture it. 

Good luck
Dave

303 Mopar

You can get a 4 post lift and get it up out of the way.  This will also allow you to work on the undercarriage.

mopar jack

I use an old exercise mat, If I take the cuda out first I put it against the charger and if the charger moves first it's against the cuda. I pull the charger out of the garage before loading passengers.

71-440

Quote from: nsmall on July 22, 2018, 11:10:39 PM
So my "dream car" is all done, and Im pretty uncomfortable with how its parked in the garage.

Problem is I have a van (wife, 1, 2, 8 year old) that daily uses the space next to my car.  I cant evict them as the temp is 100+ Fahrenheit every day in the summer and I'm too sweet to have the wife park in the heat.

So I have pulled the car more forward and that helps.

I was considering dolly's for the back wheels and pushing the car over as the rear end is really the problem.  The Cuda has a big booty.

I'll try to eliminate the three white cabinets this week.

Moving is not an option (we have been looking recently) as it would cost us 200k to move to a home with more garage space.

So any suggestions are welcome.  I can only imagine some of you "smart guys" teasing me, but this is a real issue and I need to come up with something.  The car is only used once a week.

Thanks.

I'm in the same position as you so don't feel bad. I'm starting to see what I can move and consolidate to make more room.

I think Cody is right about the Dollies. Too much of a hassle.

A cover and the exercise mat thing is a good idea and those door guards look promising.

Joe

Chryco Psycho

Can you build another shed or building to store things & work in ?

Burdar

Back the Cuda into the garage.  That way you can get the car as close to the wall as possible.  Using dollies to move the car when you use it once a week will be a real PITA.  Also, move the car to the other side of the garage.  That way the passengers side is next to the wall.  I like the old wrestling mat idea.  You need something to protect the car if the van door is opened too far.(it's going to happen eventually)  Maybe a small inflatable water raft hanging from the ceiling at the door height would work.

RUNCHARGER

I deal with this every day and I'm done with it. House is up for sale and we're moving. However what I would do in your situation is to remove that stuff on the side of your garage, buy a real good floor jack to swing the rearend over with (and bring it back) and protect the side with mats for the inevitable. I used to get 3 in this garage, 1 across the back and 2 in front.
Hang shelving from the ceiling, move whatever you can up and keep the floor as clear as you can. There may be a few things you can move to inside the house such as those cabinets. Yes the wife god will complain but you don't want to deal with damage to the car.
My wife is finally on board with my need for some space and if it means I have to rebuild the kitchen in a different house to get what we both want then so be it.
The way I see it house builders cater to the lady of the house as they know the man will cave every time. So they build these pencil dick garages and spend the extra $$$ in the kitchen and that sells the house every time. (yes I'm frustrated).
Sheldon

72 Challenger

I have a single car wide but two car deep garage. They call it a tandem two car garage.

I couldn't fit anything down the sides. So I took everything that is not garage related and built a shed. No lawn mowers, no bikes, no shovels, no garbage cans in the garage. If it's not car related it's not in there. Unless you are going into the garage to do something car related, no one has any business in there.

Now I face the problem that I want a second classic car and have no garage space.
Someday I will have a J0b.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 72 Challenger on July 23, 2018, 08:55:15 AM
I have a single car wide but two car deep garage. They call it a tandem two car garage.

I couldn't fit anything down the sides. So I took everything that is not garage related and built a shed. No lawn mowers, no bikes, no shovels, no garbage cans in the garage. If it's not car related it's not in there. Unless you are going into the garage to do something car related, no one has any business in there.

Now I face the problem that I want a second classic car and have no garage space.

If you have the height a stacker lift would be perfect....