Main Menu

Steering shaft woes

Started by Msbaugh440, August 14, 2018, 11:46:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Msbaugh440

I've had some pretty dumb questions lately, so I'm just going to keep them coming!  I have 2 collapsed steering shafts (they took a little too much force to disassemble) and am working on repairing them.  I'm going to nylon pin them as I've seen another member here do.

My question is this, can the two halves of the shaft be completely separated? I tried burning all the old glue out and they still won't separate to allow me to clean them up.. Also, my measurements at the center of the injection area of the inner shaft doesn't quite match up with what I've read elsewhere, (Cody's instructions on this site) they're both a little short

Cuda Cody

When you say a "little" exactly how much are you talking about?  With the way the shaft fits in to the coupling there's a bit of play and the shaft does not need to be "perfect" as there's room for it to be a little long or a little short.  I think that is by design.

Burdar

The open end of the lower shaft is peened slightly so the two halves don't easily come apart but they will separate.

I put one end in a vise and used the other end like a slide hammer.  They eventually came apart.

Msbaugh440

Awesome! I guess I just need to yank harder then!

Cody, the measurements you shared (your videos have been very helpful by the way, THANK YOU), were exactly as mine were for both the power and manual steering lengths, but only when I measure from the start of the threads where the crush can nut goes on (not the end of the threads).

In other words, when measuring from end to end it is too long by about 3/4" from end to end of the shaft