Main Menu

Oil in my air cleaner and the rh breather return line

Started by Bluemonster71RT, August 19, 2018, 01:16:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bluemonster71RT

I am guessing that there is something wrong with the pcv system as oil is being sent into my air cleaner via the breather that is on the right side valve cover. It also drips from the vapor return line that attaches to that as well. I can smell a decent amount of exhaust fumes in the oil when I drain it too. The valve is working. Is it possible that its just not good enough or too small? Is there something I need to add/fix?     

Rich G.

With the engine running and the pcv valve out of the valve cover is there suction at the valve? If there isn't the valve could be bad or the vacuum line restricted. If it's working it could be bad rings if you have that much blow by.

Bluemonster71RT

There is suction at the valve. The engine has about 3500k on rebuild so it shouldn't be bad rings.  I saw in a catalog an adjustable breather for engines with lower vacuum. I have 11 inches at idle. That should be enough right?   

1 Wild R/T

Whether it should or shouldn't be it sounds very much like a ring seal issue.....  :alan2cents:

Bluemonster71RT

Compression numbers are good. I'm not burning oil, gas mileage is decent and steady. If the crankcase ventilation is not good enough would this not also cause a similar problem?   

Rich G.

Just  throwing some ideas out. Are they stock valve covers? Pretty sure there should be a baffle in the cover so oil isn't going right in the breather. With the engine running and the pcv valve in, if you take the breather cap off you should have a little suction on the hole and nothing blowing out. I remember my gas station days I have a little cap that went over the oil cap to test the pcv system

Bluemonster71RT

They are the cast aluminum mopar ones. I did put the baffles in that came with them though.

Rich G.

Here's a pic of my tester. Man this has to be 40+years old. Can't believe I still have it. It has a little ball inside and vacuum pulls the ball to the safe side and pressure pushes it to the danger side.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Rich G. on August 23, 2018, 09:57:22 AM
Here's a pic of my tester. Man this has to be 40+years old. Can't believe I still have it. It has a little ball inside and vacuum pulls the ball to the safe side and pressure pushes it to the danger side.

:rubeyes:  :unbelievable:  Been years since I've seen one of those....   :cheers: