Main Menu

Wanna sell your car?

Started by 70Barracuda, October 17, 2018, 07:44:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70Barracuda

Coming out of Chipotle the other night, guy walks up, want to sell your car?  Not really, it would be a very big number.  yeah okay whats the number? 

75K sent him away quick.

How about... nice mustang?  Nice camaro?  A funny one.  One night coming home a couple new mustangs coming up beside me, guy yells out... What IS that?

My car is getting old... So am I
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

kathyscuda

what the guy wanted to say was,
hey im a flipper can I buy your car cheap so i can put it on ebag and make a buck . cuz im a flipper.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I've had "classic car dealers" bug me and you never hear from them again when they find out you're not a sucker. I got tired of it when I lived in Kelowna.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

You can thank Richard Rawlings whewwwwwwww!

:haha:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Fastmark

At a car show several years ago, I guy was looking at my AAR and asked if it was for sale and I said, no. I've had it for 40 plus years. He was nice but insisted that he would really like to buy it. I said it's just not for sale. Then he turned to my wife and told her, "call me when he dies"! She told him the kids would never sell it so that seamed to satisfy him. I found out later he was a wealthy oil man who could have wrote a check for any amount I said.

A 21 year old kid bought a house across the street from my shop and I noticed he had a different car or hot bike every couple of weeks. One day he showed up with a Hellcat Charger. He ran the crap out of it. I drove my AAR over to the shop for some work and he came running over in awe. He just had to have it. I turned him down then he offered to trade me the Hellcat he had just written a check for over $90,000. I found out he had just inherited 2,000,000 from an uncle.

The moral of the story for me is, I don't give a number away for that car. Someone might just call me on my bluff.

anlauto

Quote from: Fastmark on October 19, 2018, 04:27:15 AM
At a car show several years ago, I guy was looking at my AAR and asked if it was for sale and I said, no. I've had it for 40 plus years. He was nice but insisted that he would really like to buy it. I said it's just not for sale. Then he turned to my wife and told her, "call me when he dies"! She told him the kids would never sell it so that seamed to satisfy him. I found out later he was a wealthy oil man who could have wrote a check for any amount I said.

A 21 year old kid bought a house across the street from my shop and I noticed he had a different car or hot bike every couple of weeks. One day he showed up with a Hellcat Charger. He ran the crap out of it. I drove my AAR over to the shop for some work and he came running over in awe. He just had to have it. I turned him down then he offered to trade me the Hellcat he had just written a check for over $90,000. I found out he had just inherited 2,000,000 from an uncle.

The moral of the story for me is, I don't give a number away for that car. Someone might just call me on my bluff.

I never really had that "connection" with a car...if someone offered stupid money...I would take it and go buy a different car....It's like the people who vacation at the same spot every year....it's a BIG world out there, get out and enjoy as many different places as you can, except in this case....as many different cars as you can :stayinlane:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dave73

If someone offered me stupid money, I'd walk home...can always buy another one

GoodysGotaCuda

It'd take about $100k to send mine to a different home. Id still have to ponder on it, my wife and I dated in the car, I've had it for quite some time and I have tightened every nut and screw on the car at one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

djw383

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on October 19, 2018, 05:26:32 AM
It'd take about $100k to send mine to a different home. Id still have to ponder on it, my wife and I dated in the car, I've had it for quite some time and I have tightened every nut and screw on the car at one point.

Agreed....there is significant value in having a personal history with the car and knowing truly what was under the paint. I would only consider selling it if I had the opportunity to replace it by building another one from scratch, and I don't see my life allowing that in the foreseeable future, which isn't a bad thing just reality. The stars aligned once and everything came together, which I am very fortunate of.

rebelyell

At this point in life, there's only one vehicle I won't sell. And that's my dad's truck. I used to have personal connections to cars, but somehow I just don't anymore. I can't explain why either. If someone comes up and offers me 10k more than I paid for my 71, they can have it. I'll go buy a nicer one.

You can blame all the "HEY! LEMME BUY YOUR CAR!" junk on the richard rawlings and counts customs shows. It's given people the idea that they can be just like those guys on tv and make a few dollars at someone else's expense. They may make their dollars from someone..it aint gonna be me.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: djw383 on October 19, 2018, 05:47:42 AM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on October 19, 2018, 05:26:32 AM

Agreed....there is significant value in having a personal history with the car and knowing truly what was under the paint. I would only consider selling it if I had the opportunity to replace it by building another one from scratch, and I don't see my life allowing that in the foreseeable future, which isn't a bad thing just reality. The stars aligned once and everything came together, which I am very fortunate of.

Agreed. Building another, even with cash on hand would be a challenge for me. A 3 year old and a 1 year old sure soak up my "free time".

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

RUNCHARGER

You're right: Your children are the most important part of your life and you have special interest vehicles that are pretty much done right now. Later on in life when the children don't take as much involvement you can build some more cars.
Sheldon

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on October 19, 2018, 05:00:03 AM
Quote from: Fastmark on October 19, 2018, 04:27:15 AM

I never really had that "connection" with a car...if someone offered stupid money...I would take it and go buy a different car....It's like the people who vacation at the same spot every year....it's a BIG world out there, get out and enjoy as many different places as you can, except in this case....as many different cars as you can :stayinlane:
:iagree:
My car has been in the family since 1975. But if anyone offers me a lot of $$ or a Hellcat, I'll be driving a different car.

And I never vacation in the same spot.   8)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

71vert340

About 15 years ago at a car show, a guy walked up to me and said he'd be willing to pay up to $99k for my convertible. I said no. Turns out he'd brought a car hauler to take it home. He had done his homework on my car by talking to others apparently ( Ben Snobar for one) and really wanted my car. Now, I'm thinking I should have taken the money and run. I've had it 46 years now and the idea keeps popping into my head it's time to move on. I'm working on a 74 Rallye Charger now and love it. I'll be doing some work on the convertible this winter (heater box) and don't enjoy it as much. I never even fdrove the convertible out of my shop this year - 0 miles in 15 months.
Terry

PlumCrazyRTSE

I was at a cruise-in a few years ago and some young kid (probably mid-20s) came up to me and ask how much I wanted for my car.  I told him it wasn't for sale.  He then started looking the car over carefully as I started talking to some other guy.  A few minutes later, he rudely butts into the conversation I'm having with the other guy to insist that I give him a price.  Again, I said it's not for sale.  At that point, he starts getting nasty and tells me everything is for sale and I need to give him a price.  I just tried to ignore him and continued the conversation I was having previously.  Finally, he walked away but not before throwing out a price that was exactly half of what I had paid for the car just a couple months earlier.   :rofl: