Main Menu

1971 T/A UPDATE

Started by anlauto, November 08, 2018, 04:13:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I have a want ad looking for a T/A block, and I just had a phone call from Western Canada and the guy is selling a T/A block but says it has a 71 casting date ? Is there such a thing ?

Does anybody have insight on this ?

@ScottSmith_Harms , @6bblgt .....Scott ? Dan ?  Should this exist ? He said he would get me pictures... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FlatlandTA

Guess anything's possible but I'd guess negative. 71 vin stamp on a 69 or 70 cast TA block sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlatlandTA

Any pics Allan that would be good to see

Cuda Cody

I've heard they used left over T/A blocks in cars after the fact, but they should have been cast earlier, right?  Do you think he's talking about the VIN stamp?

anlauto

He says T/A is clearly casted in the DS after the part number and 71 is clearly casted on the other side... :dunno: I'm dying to see pictures too ....says he "assumes" it has TA heads on it too, but never removed a valve cover  :clueless:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Brads70

Reading the title of this post, always thought it would be cool to build a yellow 71 T/A just like they had pictures of for advertising!  :drooling:

FlatlandTA

Interesting would like to see!

anlauto

He bought the motor out of Indianapolis  :dunno:

ScottSmith_Harms

I haven't ever seen one but would guess that it's a replacement block made after production ended. .02

Flatdad

Interesting that there is still no standard rallye dash or floor shift for automatics mentioned in the '71 ad. That would be a bummer to order up this car new with all the race inspired equipment hung on it, only to jump in and discover you've got a standard dash and column shift. I wonder if a '71 T/A would be allowed to have AC since its a 4bbl instead of a six pack.

As for the original post, I remember seeing a 340 advertised as a '71 T/A block on Indy's craigslist for quite a while, but figured it was misidentified. The ad reran for a long time before someone bit.

RUNCHARGER

I can just imagine showing up at the Dodge dealer in late 70 with a fistful of hard earned cash ready to sit down and order a new 71 T/A after seeing that ad.
Sheldon

anlauto

The block has TA casted into it, but now he says the casting date is 1-24-69 ....however he says the assembly date is 1971 and the VIN is 1B297839 :dunno:

Cuda Cody

Quote from: anlauto on November 11, 2018, 08:43:26 AM
The block has TA casted into it, but now he says the casting date is 1-24-69 ....however he says the assembly date is 1971 and the VIN is 1B297839 :dunno:

That was what I was thinking he would say....   :yes: 

I've heard they used left over T/A blocks in cars after the fact, but they should have been cast earlier, right?

Still a cool engine and it's a real T/A block.

6bblgt

cool engine  8) can he get the assembly numbers off the driver's side front, under the head?

anlauto

Could it be consider correct for my AAR....by that I mean being a correct T/A block ?