Main Menu

70 Cuda trunk latch rod cover

Started by B5fourspeed, November 18, 2018, 06:18:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

B5fourspeed

What are the correct screws for the trunk rod cover?

Cuda Cody

I think this is an original 1970 AAR Cuda.  I took the photo and it did not look like it had been removed, but a lot can happen in 45 years.

anlauto

I haven't taken apart too many original cars, but I've found silver cad pan head Philips screws. Oddly enough, the ones in the tail light housing were machine thread, while the ones in the latch support were self cutting.  :looney: I just use self cutting all the way around. #8 X 1/2''
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

B5fourspeed

Thanks Alan and Cody.I also thought is was weird that the holes on the support were not drilled and no welded nut on the inside.

HEMICUDA

Quote from: Cuda Cody on November 18, 2018, 06:22:18 PM
I think this is an original 1970 AAR Cuda.  I took the photo and it did not look like it had been removed, but a lot can happen in 45 years.

The picture you posted is absolutely correct Cody, all 70-71 had the pan head with a captured external star washer unless it was an LA car that used the screw with a paint gutter like the ones used to hold the drip rail molding on.  I want to say the washer is a #6, I don't remember, I have a bag of them.  It you just use a pan head screw without the star washer, it's wrong.

anlauto

Those are not correct. Cody posted the correct ones with a small star washer  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

HEMICUDA

Quote from: anlauto on November 19, 2018, 09:47:22 AM
Those are not correct. Cody posted the correct ones with a small star washer  :alan2cents:

Huh? Can you read, you bragged about getting through high school, :haha: like I said, the ones Cody posted are correct for Hamtramck, LA used pan head with a paint gutter.

anlauto

You're GREAT HEMICUDA !  :drinkingbud:

Except you missed the "now deleted" post were someone posted a picture of the wrong screw which is what I was referring to . :alan2cents:

Again, the screws pictured in Cody's picture are correct.

HP_Cuda

Guess mine are wrong but I think I used #8 by 1/2 but I'll have to take a look.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200