Main Menu

Volt LED “gauge” you may need

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, December 10, 2018, 06:14:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

Since it's not uncommon to delete the ammeter and have to add a volt gauge somewhere, here's a solution you may not be aware of.

This LED needs a 14mm hole, power, ground and it will tell you everything a volt gauge will.

On my dash, i determined a voltmeter wasn't mission critical enough to dedicate a gauge slot to, so I recently went to this LED version.

As you can see in the image, it provides color and flashing feedback depending on voltage conditions, which is pretty neat.

eBay link as of 12/10/18
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F190401283689

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

b5cuda

Excellent!  I was looking for something like that, thanks for sharing.

Burdar

I like that idea!  I was thinking about mounting a regular volt gauge in the console ash tray to keep it hidden but this looks even nicer! Hidden in plain sight. Thanks

GoodysGotaCuda

Hope it helps!

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dodj

I might stick one in my new 2018 Ram. No volt gauge in them.

Edit
Actually I found there is a volt gauge. You just have to go into setup and have it displayed on the dash screen. I guess they figured most people don't care to see it so it is not on the default display screen.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudakiller70

Excellent Goody! This was on my "next list" you saved me some googling time. Thanks :bigthumb:

Rdchallenger

Before I parked my Challenger for the resto I had bought a digital one that pluged into the cigarette lighter. Was 5 dollars maybe and did just what it was intended.

Chryco Psycho

Cool stuff , I like the cig lighter one too  :twothumbsup:

FSHTAIL

You can just get one of those dual USB cigarette lighter Chargers that you can use for your cell phones that have a digital voltmeter in between the USB ports, nothing to wire and you can just shut your ashtray if you don't want to see it
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Katfish

I like it!
I have the cigarette lighter model, but the ashtray won't close with it in.
So I only check the voltage occasionally.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on December 12, 2018, 02:11:45 AM
You can just get one of those dual USB cigarette lighter Chargers that you can use for your cell phones that have a digital voltmeter in between the USB ports, nothing to wire and you can just shut your ashtray if you don't want to see it

I own one, but my shifter hits an open ashtray in 5th and Reverse.

Aesthetically I also didn't really want to have to leave the ashtray open to ensure everything was in good working order. Seems like a bit of an afterthought.

I drove the Cuda today and that placement is perfect for me. It's not really looking at you while driving in the dark, but is plenty visible where needed.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

GoodysGotaCuda

Following up. It's been a couple hundred miles and this little led has been working out quite well! Everything I need to know about voltage without taking up a gauge slot.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs